Hospital order for patient who attacked staff at St Clement’s Hospital in Ipswich

St Clement's Hospital site, Ipswich. Picture: LUCY TAYLOR

St Clement's Hospital site, Ipswich. Picture: LUCY TAYLOR

A patient in a psychiatric unit at St Clement’s Hospital in Ipswich who attacked a support worker and a nurse has been made the subject of a hospital order.

Hassan Syed, who was a patient at St Clement’s Hospital, Foxhall Road, Ipswich, kicked support worker Steve Forster in the face and head butted staff nurse Coral Williamson in the face.

Syed, 26, admitted causing actual bodily harm to Mr Forster and Mrs Williamson on September 15 and was made the subject of a hospital order with restriction for the protection of the public.

Ipswich Crown Court heard that on the day in question Syed went to his room after playing cards with Mr Forster.

Later Mr Forster heard Syed’s door slam and when he challenged Syed about his behaviour he punched a wall and a water machine.

Mr Forster tried to restrain him by putting his arms around Syed and while he was trying to get Syed to bed he was kicked in the face.

Syed had then swung a number of punches at other staff and head butted Mrs Williamson in the face.

Most Read

Both members of staff needed hospital treatment.

The court heard that Syed had been admitted to hospital in 2014 with paranoid schizophrenia, but no longer showed any sign of that condition.

As a result of the incident Mrs Williamson suffered concussion and post concussion syndrome, including headaches and sleep problems.

She has also been left feeling anxious when dealing with Syed and had to take time off because of what had happened.

Mr Forster suffered damage to his teeth as a result of the kick in the mouth and required treatment which cost more than £400.

The court heard Syed had been given a hospital order to be detained at St Clement’s in 2015 for a violent assault.

A similar order was imposed in 2010 for an offence of robbery.

At an earlier hearing Ian Persaud, for Syed, said there had been problems with his client’s medication in the lead up to the latest assaults.

He said on the day in question Syed was hearing voices and became disturbed.

Following the incident he had apologised to the members of staff concerned.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter