Hot weather meant beer boom
A SUMMER boom in beer sales has seen two Suffolk breweries report a surge in sales. Strong demand from drinkers during the recent heatwave has swelled the profits of both Greene King and Adnams.
A SUMMER boom in beer sales has seen two Suffolk breweries report a surge in sales.
Strong demand from drinkers during the recent heatwave has swelled the profits of both Greene King and Adnams.
Bury St Edmunds brewer Greene King, which owns more than 1,650 pubs, has been lapping up the summer sun.
The 6pc rise in beer sales includes a massive rise in the famous Old Speckled Hen brew.
Other Greene King favourites Abbot Ale and IPA also saw more of people's throats than usual.
But it seems the simmering heat of this record-breaking summer are not the only factors in the beers reaching such heady heights.
- 1 Woman injured after car flips on its roof near Ipswich
- 2 Developer criticised for 'failing to meet obligations'
- 3 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
- 4 WATCH: Adorable family of foxes enjoy play time at an Ipswich doorstep
- 5 Suffolk fish and chip van to feature on Escape to the Country
- 6 Friends raise money for garden for terminally ill Suffolk mum
- 7 Mother who befriended son's killer discusses his new book
- 8 Jail for man who drove stolen car at police officers
- 9 Fencing around historic Trimley station causes scare for local community
- 10 'We are both in love' - Ed Sheeran announces birth of second daughter
Greene King is trumpeting a recent ad campaign for both beers leading to soaring sales.
Fellow Suffolk brewer Adnams today also reported a successful summer, with sales up more than 10pc.
One of its flagship beers, Broadside, posted a massive 40pc-plus rise.
The Southwold-based brewers are hoping a new poster campaign will provide a further boost to its fortunes.
Chairman Simon Loftus said: "We're thrilled at the continued increase in demand for our beers, which is evidence of the strength of our brand.
"We're looking forward to the impact of our new poster campaign, which is starting in a few days time."