Hot weather meant beer boom
A SUMMER boom in beer sales has seen two Suffolk breweries report a surge in sales. Strong demand from drinkers during the recent heatwave has swelled the profits of both Greene King and Adnams.
A SUMMER boom in beer sales has seen two Suffolk breweries report a surge in sales.
Strong demand from drinkers during the recent heatwave has swelled the profits of both Greene King and Adnams.
Bury St Edmunds brewer Greene King, which owns more than 1,650 pubs, has been lapping up the summer sun.
The 6pc rise in beer sales includes a massive rise in the famous Old Speckled Hen brew.
You may also want to watch:
Other Greene King favourites Abbot Ale and IPA also saw more of people's throats than usual.
But it seems the simmering heat of this record-breaking summer are not the only factors in the beers reaching such heady heights.
- 1 Woman 'alarmed and distressed' after verbal abuse in Ipswich
- 2 Bin lorry driver ran over colleague's leg in Kesgrave
- 3 Audi left wrecked after late-night crash in Ipswich
- 4 Drug dealer seen bragging in YouTube rap videos
- 5 Burglary at O2 store in Ipswich town centre
- 6 Man to be sentenced over 'dine and dash' spree
- 7 Man who controlled Ipswich drug line jailed for five years
- 8 New homes and dormitory block planned for Ipswich school site
- 9 Pair in court following suspected stolen dogs raid at West Meadows
- 10 Restraining order for venue boss who intimidated council leader's daughter
Greene King is trumpeting a recent ad campaign for both beers leading to soaring sales.
Fellow Suffolk brewer Adnams today also reported a successful summer, with sales up more than 10pc.
One of its flagship beers, Broadside, posted a massive 40pc-plus rise.
The Southwold-based brewers are hoping a new poster campaign will provide a further boost to its fortunes.
Chairman Simon Loftus said: "We're thrilled at the continued increase in demand for our beers, which is evidence of the strength of our brand.
"We're looking forward to the impact of our new poster campaign, which is starting in a few days time."