AN ESSEX hotel lies in ruins today after fire tore through the Grade II listed property. Crews were called to Orsett Hall Hotel, in Orsett, this morning after fire broke out in the kitchens.
AN ESSEX hotel lies in ruins today after fire tore through the Grade II listed property.
Crews were called to Orsett Hall Hotel, in Orsett, this morning after fire broke out in the kitchens. Hampered by lack of water fire-fighters struggled to bring the blaze under control.
Shortly after midday the building collapsed.
Dave Bill, divisional officer with Essex County Fire and Rescue Service said: “Orsett Hall has been destroyed, although a new annexe at the side of the main building remains unscathed.
Set in 12 acres of grounds Orsett Hall was due to host a wedding today and three further weddings tomorrow.
Just after 1pm initial investigations reported the fire started in the grill in the kitchen which was being used to prepare breakfast for hotel guests.
- 1 Hank's Deli closes its doors but remembers food bank
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 3 Appeal to find 33-year-old missing man
- 4 Plasterer who stalked ex-girlfriend is handed restraining order
- 5 Five-bedroom home with 'beautiful countryside views' on market for £800K
- 6 Drug addict stole £7,000 from safe at auction house
- 7 Nursing class looking to reunite after four decades
- 8 Matchday Live: Chaplin wins it as Town claim three points
- 9 School's 'greatest ever sporting achievement' could take them to Wembley
- 10 Teenager 'kicked and punched' by man during Ipswich assault
Mr Bill added: “It quickly spread through a void which ran up three floors of the building from the kitchen to the roof.
At 1.20pm, divisional officer Olly Holford, commander for Thurrock and Brentwood, said: “The fire is surrounded with one oscillating monitor and four main jets in use. Gas and electricity supplies have been isolated. Steady progress is being made.
“There is still thick smoke over the area and families living in Orsett and the surrounding area are being advised to keep their windows closed.”
The hotel management has set up an information number for members of the public to call if they have upcoming events booked at the hotel - 01375 891402.