House evacuated after blaze
VIDEO A house has been evacuated as a precaution today after a nearby van and shed caught fire.
A HOUSE has been evacuated as a precaution today after a nearby van and shed caught fire.
The blaze took place in Ipswich's Derby Road at around 3.14pm.
Three crews attended the scene and four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used three hose reel jets to control the flames.
Divisional officer Ferial Rolfe said: “We were called to a van on fire but as the crews arrived they realised it was having an impact on the buildings around so they called for extra resources.
“We approached the fire cautiously because it was not clear what was inside the van.
“Fortunately there was nothing hazardous involved and we tackled the fire, concentrating on not letting it spread into the buildings around.
- 1 'This is all I've got' - Woman fighting to keep home where mum died
- 2 Teen fractured taxi driver's skull in 'shocking display of violence'
- 3 'From one family business to another' - Cattermole's changes hands
- 4 Woman bit dog owner during dispute over not picking up mess
- 5 Teen taken to hospital with serious injuries after Ipswich crash
- 6 Felixstowe man to star on small screen with converted Mini Cooper
- 7 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 8 Five forgotten Ipswich music venues and what they are now
- 9 Cocaine dealers involved in 'Bash' drugs line in Suffolk are jailed
- 10 Ipswich bus fares to increase after 'significant' drop in usage
“We externally checked the buildings to make sure the fire had not spread and spent an hour damping down.”
The fire was under control by 4.01pm.