House stormed in knife drama
POLICE armed with riot gear stormed a house in Ipswich today during an incident which left one officer injured.Early morning peace was shattered as officers wearing protective vests entered a house in Bramford Road at around 5am only to be confronted by a man wielding a knife.
POLICE armed with riot gear stormed a house in Ipswich today during an incident which left one officer injured.
Early morning peace was shattered as officers wearing protective vests entered a house in Bramford Road at around 5am only to be confronted by a man wielding a knife.
Police were alerted by concerned neighbours reporting a disturbance.
During the incident a police officer was injured and was taken to Ipswich Hospital and is now awaiting an operation for his injuries.
You may also want to watch:
The occupant of the house is thought to have injured himself with a knife during the drama and was treated by paramedics at the scene before being detained by police officers.
A woman was also in the house at the time of the incident but is not believed to have been injured.
- 1 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 2 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 3 Angry resident threatened with arrest over fake parking tickets
- 4 Plans to turn Ipswich office into housing resubmitted with fewer flats
- 5 Lorry driver charged after £8.5m cocaine seizure
- 6 Community left heartbroken by loss of mum Jessica
- 7 Could restaurant move into closed Little Waitrose in Ipswich?
- 8 Fake parking fines handed out in Stowmarket
- 9 'A great shame' - Portman Road won't host county cup finals due to pitch renovations
- 10 Man accused of stealing phone from woman in Ipswich street
Residents awoke to four police cars and two transit vans lining the road and officers armed with protective shields entered the property.
It took police approximately two hours to bring the situation under control.
Initially six officers were called the incident but the number grew to approximately 12 as more officers were called to assist.
Anna Woolnough, press officer for Suffolk police, said: "I can confirm that officers attended an incident in Bramford Road in the early hours of this morning.
"During the course of the incident a 25-year-old police officer received a cut to his hand. The officer is currently awaiting an operation at Ipswich Hospital.
"A 21-year-old Ipswich man has been arrested in connection with this incident."
A spokesman for East Anglian Ambulance Service said: "We were initially called to the scene at 5.39am but were told on route that an ambulance was no longer required.
"Then at 6.44am we were called again, this by police, and were on scene until 7.42am.
"A man was treated at the scene for minor injuries but paramedics did not take anybody to hospital."