East Suffolk village garage to be rebuilt as part of homes plan
- Credit: ARCHANT
Fresh plans have been agreed for the redevelopment of a long-established family-run village garage business with homes on part of its site.
East Suffolk Council granted permission for Brands Garage, High Road, Trimley St Mary, to demolish some buildings at the rear of its main building to free up land at the rear and side of the site to build three new bungalows.
But Brands, which provides vehicle servicing and MOT station, has now submitted new plans for the site - which would see the current business premises demolished and a new modern garage/workshop and MOT station built along with the bungalows.
Chartered architect Robert Allerton, for Brands, said none of the existing workshops were fit for purpose.
He said: "The approved workshop building extension has proven structurally uneconomic due to foundation issues emanating from the removal of the numerous old petrol tanks.
"The proposals are to replace the existing building with a new clean modern building. A purpose-built structure will also remove an old building which would have been somewhat out of keeping with the remainder of the developed site.
"The new workshop will allow for all operations of the garage be under the one roof, removing the unattractive old buildings and a rather haphazard site layout."
- 1 Thousands of cigarettes seized after HMRC officers raid Ipswich stores
- 2 New store opens in California fulfilling owner's dream
- 3 Gambling addict stole £25k from elderly woman she befriended
- 4 Pensioner who was racially abusive has jail sentence cut
- 5 Ipswich man charged with string of motoring offences
- 6 Online shoppers head to Ipswich for big brands like Primark
- 7 County lines dealer jailed for six years for drug offences in Ipswich
- 8 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 9 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 10 Could American fast food chain Wendy's open a Suffolk restaurant next year?
Council planners have granted permission for the amended plans.