How it started
LORRAINE Baldwin first met the man who was to become her killer in a pub on a fateful summer evening, at the age of 19.She was already in a relationship at the time, and unemployed, when she first set eyes on taxi driver Terry in the Royal William pub in Ipswich in August 1978.
LORRAINE Baldwin first met the man who was to become her killer in a pub on a fateful summer evening, at the age of 19.
She was already in a relationship at the time, and unemployed, when she first set eyes on taxi driver Terry in the Royal William pub in Ipswich in August 1978.
He was ten years older than her, and after their second date they were known to be together as a couple.
They married in church, two years later in November 1980, and were also known as regulars for many years at what was the Spring Tavern in Spring Road.
Judy Littlejohn, of Spring Road, aged 60, retired landlady knew Abbott and Lorraine Baldwin for years.
"They used to look after the pub when we went on holiday about ten years ago," Mrs Littlejohn said.
- 1 Look inside stunning £950k home close to Christchurch Park in Ipswich
- 2 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 3 Lorry overturned on roundabout closes A14 near Felixstowe
- 4 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 5 ‘I’ve got no life’ - Ipswich woman's agony as she waits for operation
- 6 Road closed while fire crews tackle Martlesham blaze
- 7 Ladies night event in Kesgrave with strippers sold-out in five days
- 8 Drug dealer found with cannabis, 133 tablets and cash jailed
- 9 Did you know these 10 pubs were open in Ipswich?
- 10 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
"They would stay in the pub when he went on holiday. Otherwise they were just customers.
"My husband's been friendly with them for years."
"She [Baldwin] drank a lot more than he [Abbott] did. He'd stay all night on one pint. He used to look after her. If they came in the day, the children would play in the garden."
"We were friendly with both of them. We used to go there for Sunday dinner.
"I suppose really they were happy. They were a happy couple but drank. They married two years after us [in 1980]. I went to their wedding."
Said she was "shocked" to hear of the killing.
In the early years the marriage was said to be good, but it soon turned stormy and violent.
Just a few months after their first daughter Tanya was born in 1982, Terry suspected Lorraine of her first betrayal.
They went on to have three more children, Tassi, now 18, Travis, now 13, and Tara, aged eight.
Tanya is now 19.
They divorced in October 1999 and Terry had custody of the children.