Huge power cut in Ipswich after underground electricity cable fault
- Credit: Archant
More than 200 properties and businesses were without power in and around the town centre this evening.
An underground electric cable fault in the Cromwell Road area caused the power cut in the IP1 and IP3 areas of the town just before 5pm, according to UK Power Networks.
A UK Power Networks spokesman said: “UK Power Networks engineers are working to restore electricity supplies to 235 customers in Ipswich.
“A fault on the network interrupted supplies in the Cromwell Road area at 4.56pm.
“We are working to fix the issue as quickly as possible and apologise for any inconvenience caused.”
A total of 235 properties and businesses were affected during the first hour of the power cut, but this figure reduced to 22 in just the IP1 area shortly after 6pm.
There is no estimated time for power to be restored.
- 1 School submits plan to turn site into 7 homes
- 2 Boy, 14, injured in altercation near Ipswich primary school
- 3 Severe delays on A14 outside Ipswich after vehicle sheds turf on road
- 4 Missing Ipswich man found safe
- 5 Police hunting two men with Suffolk links after cannabis farm discovered
- 6 Emergency services attending incident in Suffolk town
- 7 Aging gas main replacement works begin around Ipswich
- 8 Victim bundled into car and hit with hammer, robbery and kidnap trial hears
- 9 Ipswich teen accused of brandishing machete tells court it was a plastic toy
- 10 'I just don't operate that way' - Town owner Steed tells it straight on first visit
Little Waitrose in the town centre, which stays open until 8pm, has closed.
Have you lost power? Let us know below.