Ipswich teenager Tavis was stabbed in heart walking home from shops

Tavis Spencer-Aitkens Picture: SUPPLIED BY FAMILY

Tavis Spencer-Aitkens Picture: SUPPLIED BY FAMILY - Credit: Archant

An Ipswich teenager died after being stabbed in the heart while walking back from the shops, an inquest heard yesterday.

Tavis Spencer-Aitkens, 17, was attacked by a group of men in the street in Nacton on Saturday, June 2, police said.

The popular teen, whose funeral was also held yesterday, was found injured in Packard Avenue and taken to Ipswich Hospital for treatment but later died.

During yesterday’s inquest opening, detective chief inspector Mike Brown, said Tavis’s death was being investigated as murder.

He said a post-mortem examination recorded the provisional medical cause of death as a stab wound to the heart.

The pathologist reported that Tavis “sustained a number of stab wounds, defensive injuries and also an injury to the top of his head”, DCI Brown added.

Tavis was seen with a friend who was using an ATM outside the Co-op store in Nacton Road, around a third of a mile from Packard Avenue, at 4.50pm on the day he was attacked, DCI Brown said.

Most Read

Suffolk senior coroner Nigel Parsley said: “I would like to express my personal condolences to Tavis’s family and his friends for their tragic loss in these circumstances.”

He adjourned the inquest to a date to be fixed “in light of the criminal investigation that’s currently taking place”.

Tavis’s family have spoken previously about their grief and heartache since the popular teen’s death. Relatives described him as a “well-mannered, polite young man” and appealed for information to bring those who took his life to justice.

Police arrested eight people in connection with the stabbing.

Two of them face no further action, four people arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder have been bailed until July 30 and two have been charged with murder.

Aristote Yenge, 23 and from Ipswich, and a 16-year-old boy from Colchester who cannot be named for legal reasons, have been remanded in custody ahead of a hearing at Ipswich Crown Court on July 27.

Detectives are continuing to appeal for information about the stabbing and have asked witnesses to upload information at mipp.police.uk/operation/804

Alternatively people can call the Suffolk Police Major Investigation Team on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.