Inspiration for Suffolk youngsters
LEADING musicians inspired Suffolk youngsters at a National Youth Orchestra Open Day in Ipswich.More than 170 teenagers of grade six standard or above enjoyed the day-long event at Northgate Arts Centre.
LEADING musicians inspired Suffolk youngsters at a National Youth Orchestra Open Day in Ipswich.
More than 170 teenagers of grade six standard or above enjoyed the day-long event at Northgate Arts Centre.
They received advice and tips from the country's top musical teachers in the culmination of three open days across Britain.
Sophie Lomax, publicity officer for the National Youth Orchestra (NYO), said day was well received: "The workshop was to give local young musicians a taste of what NYO is like. It was lots of fun and gave them a chance to enhance their own educational development.
"We have had two other workshops, in Leeds and Cornwall. The youngsters were just really amazed and really impressed by it.
"Quite a few have wanted to audition for the orchestra."
- 1 Road near Ipswich town centre closed after crash involving motorcyclist
- 2 New independent baby shop opens in Ipswich
- 3 Man used drawstring from JD Sports bag to drag woman to the ground
- 4 'Fresh and timeless' Greek cuisine comes to Ipswich
- 5 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 6 When will bins be collected in Ipswich this Bank Holiday weekend?
- 7 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 8 Village suffers power cut for 7 hours after vehicle hits electricity pole
- 9 See inside Ipswich home with stunning views of the town from own turret
- 10 Suffolk man collapsed at friend's home
The day started with a creative workshop run without instruments and involved energetic games, rhythm exercises and song.
The students spent the rest of the yesterday in relevant sections, such as violin, saxophone and trumpet, to work on different aspects of their playing.
Some benefited from a masterclass, with a professor working on a piece with one person, while others worked on ensemble playing.
The day also gave them the chance to chat with NYO members and staff.