Ipswich: A sole lot of thanks - Ryan takes on mammoth charity challenge
RYAN Harvey is determined to show his thanks to staff at Ipswich Hospital – by RUNNING from one end of Britain to the other!
Setting off from Farnborough in Hampshire, the 29-year-old will join his old school friend from back home in South Africa, Steven Lowrey, in taking on the mammoth 452-mile route to Edinburgh in just 13 days.
Averaging between 30 and 35 miles a day – more than a marathon – the pair will finish their challenge by completing a staggering 52 miles on their final trek into the Scottish capital.
The idea – devised on a stag do in Blackpool four months ago – is fast becoming a tough reality for the pair as a gruelling training regime kicks in.
But for the father-of-two, who lives in Henniker Road, Ipswich, the feat gives him the chance to say thank you to the staff at Ipswich Hospital who cared for his mum Viv Harvey during her battle with cancer.
“Everyone has been touched by cancer, that’s why we picked these charities,” he said.
Viv has now been in remission for five years.
- 1 Emergency services attend Felixstowe bungalow fire
- 2 School's 'greatest ever sporting achievement' could take them to Wembley
- 3 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 4 33-year-old found safe after police search
- 5 'He's a s**t house' - Stanley chairman slams Town skipper Morsy
- 6 Plasterer who stalked ex-girlfriend is handed restraining order
- 7 Do you recognise these old Tolly Cobbold pubs?
- 8 Norwood set to stay... despite seven clubs showing interest
- 9 Three-home development for former Thornbank care home
- 10 New 'grab and go' vegan café on Ipswich Waterfront set to open in spring
“When my mum was at Ipswich Hospital the Woolverstone Wish team helped her. She asked me to do it for them,” said Mr Harvey.
In a bid to get ready for the challenge ahead, Mr Harvey said he is running every day, covering big distances at the weekends, as well as a number of competitive races.
“It is going to be tough,” said Mr Harvey, who moved to the UK 11 years ago.
“The last day is going to be about 54 miles because we wanted to go out with a bang.
“Everyday I keep thinking ‘what the hell am I doing?’
“Driving in the car it’s a hell of a way, and we are going to be running.
“I am worried but if we get through the first week I think we should be able to do it.”
Aiming to raise �5,000 or as much as people can pledge, the pair are due to set off next June.
n To help the pair reach their goal visit www.justgiving.com/ryanharveyipswich to donate.
n Are you taking on a charity challenge? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org