Ipswich: Air rifle drama sparks police probe
AN AREA of Ipswich town centre was cordoned off after a man suffered a head injury this afternoon.
Police were sent to the scene in Tower Street, Ipswich.
The incident happened just before 2.25pm when a man, believed to be steeplejack, working on St Mary-le-Tower church, was shot in the back of the head by an air rifle.
The man, aged in his 20s, was conscious and breathing when officers arrived at the scene and was taken to Ipswich Hospital.
A spokeswoman for Suffolk police said: “We have received a report of a man sustaining an injury at St Mary-le-Tower church on Tower Street in Ipswich at 2.23pm, emergency services are in attendance and officers are carrying out inquiries to establish what has happened.”
You may also want to watch:
Officers including the force helicopter searched the area.
Anyone who saw anything suspicious around the church, or anyone with information about any persons with air rifles in the town centre this afternoon should call police on 101.
- 1 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 2 Updated: Bury Road reopened after two car collision near BMW garage
- 3 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 4 Semi-pro footballer ready to kickstart Football Fun Factory in Ipswich
- 5 Ipswich council faces financial black hole over empty BHS store
- 6 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 7 New details emerge about diesel spill which closed A14 for 12 hours
- 8 Driver presses ahead with police complaint despite losing speeding trial
- 9 Three fire engines called to Ipswich flat fire
- 10 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
Did you see what happened? Call the news desk on 01473 324790.
- See tomorrow’s Ipswich Star for the full story and pictures.