Ipswich: Air rifle drama sparks police probe
AN AREA of Ipswich town centre was cordoned off after a man suffered a head injury this afternoon.
Police were sent to the scene in Tower Street, Ipswich.
The incident happened just before 2.25pm when a man, believed to be steeplejack, working on St Mary-le-Tower church, was shot in the back of the head by an air rifle.
The man, aged in his 20s, was conscious and breathing when officers arrived at the scene and was taken to Ipswich Hospital.
A spokeswoman for Suffolk police said: “We have received a report of a man sustaining an injury at St Mary-le-Tower church on Tower Street in Ipswich at 2.23pm, emergency services are in attendance and officers are carrying out inquiries to establish what has happened.”
Officers including the force helicopter searched the area.
Anyone who saw anything suspicious around the church, or anyone with information about any persons with air rifles in the town centre this afternoon should call police on 101.
- 1 Crash involving ambulance closes Ipswich road
- 2 Police carry out 'pre-planned' operation in Felixstowe road
- 3 Suffolk's top 10 fish and chip shops as voted by our readers - now pick a winner
- 4 Double drink driver who killed Jennifer, 32, jailed six years and eight months
- 5 Richest people in East Anglia revealed on Sunday Times Rich List
- 6 Ipswich salon to offer free gent's haircut at Suffolk Show
- 7 'You have broken us!' - New cafe at Suffolk beauty spot on huge demand
- 8 Notcutts submit detailed plans for 14 homes on the edge of Ipswich
- 9 Suffolk fish and chip van to feature on Escape to the Country
- 10 Parking woes for shop parade hit by 'continous roadworks'
Did you see what happened? Call the news desk on 01473 324790.
- See tomorrow’s Ipswich Star for the full story and pictures.