Ipswich artist's national accolade
SELF-TAUGHT Ipswich artist Mike Gunnell is celebrating today after receiving a prestigious national award for his work.The 65-year-old, of Marlborough Road, has been recognised by the Guild of Aviation Artists after submitting four pieces of art to an exhibition held at the Mall Galleries, in London.
SELF-TAUGHT Ipswich artist Mike Gunnell is celebrating today after receiving a prestigious national award for his work.
The 65-year-old, of Marlborough Road, has been recognised by the Guild of Aviation Artists after submitting four pieces of art to an exhibition held at the Mall Galleries, in London.
Mr Gunnell, who teaches at Suffolk College, received a certificate and a £250 voucher for art materials after scooping the award.
Around 550 aviation artists submitted work to the 2002 exhibition but only around 330 had their pieces selected for display.
You may also want to watch:
Yorkshire-born Mr Gunnell, who moved to Ipswich in 2000, had each of his four exhibits selected. To top that achievement, he also received an award for submitting the best group of exhibits.
He said: "Hundreds of artists submit their work an I was pleased to get mine selected, let alone win the award. I was delighted."
- 1 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 Meet the Ipswich teenage singer who gave £17.5k away to charity
- 4 Duo jailed after 63 bags of cocaine found in hotel room
- 5 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 6 Ipswich man charged with attempted murder
- 7 Jailed in Suffolk: See the three men locked up this week
- 8 Man to face trial over claims he sexually assaulted toddler in the street
- 9 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 10 Kesgrave Kitchen praised by local MP after 'fantastic' transformation
Not wanting to rest on his laurels, Mr Gunnell has already prepared two pieces for this year's exhibition in July and is currently finishing off another.
Although he has a keen interest in aviation art, Mr Gunnell's talents extend to other areas and he is also part of the Guild of Railway artists.
Two of his paintings, which include Sutton Hoo and the River Orwell Bridge, are being included in a book called Along Artistic Lines: Two centuries of Railway Art.