Ipswich artist's national accolade
SELF-TAUGHT Ipswich artist Mike Gunnell is celebrating today after receiving a prestigious national award for his work.The 65-year-old, of Marlborough Road, has been recognised by the Guild of Aviation Artists after submitting four pieces of art to an exhibition held at the Mall Galleries, in London.
SELF-TAUGHT Ipswich artist Mike Gunnell is celebrating today after receiving a prestigious national award for his work.
The 65-year-old, of Marlborough Road, has been recognised by the Guild of Aviation Artists after submitting four pieces of art to an exhibition held at the Mall Galleries, in London.
Mr Gunnell, who teaches at Suffolk College, received a certificate and a £250 voucher for art materials after scooping the award.
Around 550 aviation artists submitted work to the 2002 exhibition but only around 330 had their pieces selected for display.
Yorkshire-born Mr Gunnell, who moved to Ipswich in 2000, had each of his four exhibits selected. To top that achievement, he also received an award for submitting the best group of exhibits.
He said: "Hundreds of artists submit their work an I was pleased to get mine selected, let alone win the award. I was delighted."
- 1 Beautiful new bottomless brunches launch at Ipswich bar
- 2 Man arrested after Ipswich train station incident released
- 3 Family's gratitude after Christmas samaritan's £50 act of kindness
- 4 'Lovely to be acknowledged' - Ipswich craft shop pleased with bounce back
- 5 Ipswich Station closed as man arrested for possessing a firearm
- 6 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 7 Karaoke noise complaints prompts fear Grade II pub could close
- 8 Court to decide how much swindler should repay customers
- 9 'Really lovely and easy to talk to' - Tributes to passionate beekeeper Alan
- 10 Orwell Bridge reduced speed limit 'likely' as Storm Barra hits Suffolk
Not wanting to rest on his laurels, Mr Gunnell has already prepared two pieces for this year's exhibition in July and is currently finishing off another.
Although he has a keen interest in aviation art, Mr Gunnell's talents extend to other areas and he is also part of the Guild of Railway artists.
Two of his paintings, which include Sutton Hoo and the River Orwell Bridge, are being included in a book called Along Artistic Lines: Two centuries of Railway Art.