Ipswich artist's national accolade
SELF-TAUGHT Ipswich artist Mike Gunnell is celebrating today after receiving a prestigious national award for his work.The 65-year-old, of Marlborough Road, has been recognised by the Guild of Aviation Artists after submitting four pieces of art to an exhibition held at the Mall Galleries, in London.
SELF-TAUGHT Ipswich artist Mike Gunnell is celebrating today after receiving a prestigious national award for his work.
The 65-year-old, of Marlborough Road, has been recognised by the Guild of Aviation Artists after submitting four pieces of art to an exhibition held at the Mall Galleries, in London.
Mr Gunnell, who teaches at Suffolk College, received a certificate and a £250 voucher for art materials after scooping the award.
Around 550 aviation artists submitted work to the 2002 exhibition but only around 330 had their pieces selected for display.
You may also want to watch:
Yorkshire-born Mr Gunnell, who moved to Ipswich in 2000, had each of his four exhibits selected. To top that achievement, he also received an award for submitting the best group of exhibits.
He said: "Hundreds of artists submit their work an I was pleased to get mine selected, let alone win the award. I was delighted."
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 Heavy police presence spotted in Ipswich as man arrested
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 4 Suffolk sprinter opens her 'dream' cafe at age of 25
- 5 'Gutted' Ipswich burger van man loses everything in fire devastation
- 6 New Starbucks drive thru set to open in Ipswich
- 7 Man charged with assault after police officer punched in the face
- 8 Suspect in Victoria Hall murder case still being questioned by police
- 9 Get lost in two sunflower mazes at this Suffolk farm
- 10 Go-ahead secured for new hotel near Ipswich Town ground
Not wanting to rest on his laurels, Mr Gunnell has already prepared two pieces for this year's exhibition in July and is currently finishing off another.
Although he has a keen interest in aviation art, Mr Gunnell's talents extend to other areas and he is also part of the Guild of Railway artists.
Two of his paintings, which include Sutton Hoo and the River Orwell Bridge, are being included in a book called Along Artistic Lines: Two centuries of Railway Art.