Ipswich: Beds for homeless as temperatures fall
- Credit: Archant
A SCHEME to provide emergency beds for rough sleepers will remain in place during the current frosty conditions.
As plummeting temperatures continue, the borough council’s scheme to provide more beds will continue for the present.
The 12 cold weather beds are provided in partnership with Genesis Housing Association at Cavendish Lodge, 10 Turret Lane, Ipswich.
A spokesman for the borough council said officers were reviewing weather forecasts and that the scheme would remain up and running until further notice.
Access is from 6pm for an initial assessment on a first come, first served basis.
You may also want to watch:
The scheme will help to ensure the town’s homeless population have a place to go after the Winter Night Shelter scheme finished earlier this month.
The Winter Night Shelter saw churches acrss the town open their doors each day of the week on a rota basis for three months, manned by an army of volunteers.
- 1 The Walk in Ipswich town centre cordoned off by police
- 2 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 3 62-year-old arrested following incident in Ipswich town centre
- 4 'We don't want them here' - Work continues to make Maple Park safer
- 5 'Devious' Ipswich doctor jailed for sending fake texts to flatmate
- 6 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 7 Felixstowe's mayor offers reassurance following lorry park death arrests
- 8 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 9 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 10 250 Ipswich patients fined after failing to pay for their prescriptions
The project was hailed a massive success by organisers.