Ipswich: Borismaster to operate on town’s free shuttle route
- Credit: Archant
People in Ipswich will have the chance to travel around the town on a new London bus this week.
Nicknamed the ‘Borismaster’, after they were brought into service by London Mayor Boris Johnson as a successor to the old Routemaster buses, they are the first bus to be designed specifically for London in 50 years.
And from today until the end of this week one of them will be in action on service No. 38 in Ipswich, the town’s free shuttle route.
The new double-decker design is based on the old Routemaster and includes an open rear platform.
But despite the retro appearance it is a very modern vehicle, the greenest diesel-electric hybrid bus in the world with a host of innovative design features.
These include two staircases, three entrances, LED light, new seat designs and wireless bell pushes.
Managing director of Ipswich Buses Malcolm Robson said: “We’re extremely excited to have the use of one of these gorgeous vehicles in Ipswich for our customers to experience.
- 1 Apology for Ipswich pub landlords after 'insensitive LGBT+ comments'
- 2 ‘I thought I was going to die’ - Woman feels let down after spiking
- 3 'My life is hard enough' - Suffolk disabled dad struggles to repair home
- 4 More than 200 homes in Ipswich without electricity after power cut
- 5 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 6 Gucci items hidden in Asda stores across the country
- 7 Matchday Recap: Town out of Trophy after shootout loss
- 8 Man acted as lookout while accomplice robbed Ipswich store
- 9 'A lovely green space' - race against time to buy mini-Ipswich woodland
- 10 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
“There’s no doubt about it, bus travel is cool in London and the new bus for London is the epitome of London style.”