Ipswich: Call for fans to pack Portman Road as Blues look to take a step further to safety
- Credit: Ashley Pickering
LET’S get Portman Road rocking.
That is the clarion call from The Star today as the Super Blues look to all but secure their Championship status with a win against promotion-chasing Hull City tomorrow.
The team’s form has dramatically improved since Mick McCarthy arrived, with Town currently sitting five points clear of the drop zone.
And to help the Blues over the safety line, we are getting behind the squad by offering two lucky readers the chance to win a pair of tickets to tomorrow’s game.
Players and officials have backed our call for fans to turn out and show their support.
Town centre half Luke Chambers, who has become a hit with the Town faithful thanks to his fist-pumping victory celebration, said: “I don’t know what’s gone on at the club before, but we are a different team to the last two or three years and are moving in the right direction.
“We want people to be part of the momentum – we are possibly building for the future.”
- 1 Paul Cook sacked by Ipswich Town
- 2 Former BBC DJ to go live with new station
- 3 The possible candidates as Ipswich Town search for new boss
- 4 Delays likely on major Ipswich road as 12 days of roadworks planned
- 5 Harsh or fair? Here's what Town fans are saying about Paul Cook sacking
- 6 Things you should know before visiting Spoon World Buffet and Bar
- 7 Cycle wands being removed from Ipswich roads
- 8 Two people reported rough sleeping every day in Ipswich last month
- 9 Matchday Recap: A replay awaits as Town fail to beat Barrow
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
With an upturn in form and glorious weather forecast for the weekend, the club is expecting Saturday’s gates to be the biggest of the season.
Blues officials have also stepped up their bid to attract fans to the Hull game with an offer for season ticket fans to buy four extra tickets at £10 each for adults, £8 for concessions and £3 for Juniors. There is also a deal for silver members.
Manager Mick McCarthy added: “Hull are flying high and will want the points to help their bid for automatic promotion.
“I’m sure it will be another nervy 90 minutes but the atmosphere at our home games recently has been terrific.
“Keep up that support and keep up that noise. We really do appreciate the backing we get. It makes a difference.”
And club captain, Carlos Edwards, urged supporters to create a thumping atmosphere.
“We’re expecting a big crowd and it will be great to get Portman Road rocking,” he said.
“As I’ve often said, the fans’ support has been superb all season and the extra bit of noise they generate really does spur us players on. It gives you that little bit more.”
? To be in with a chance of winning the two tickets, pick up a copy of today’s Ipswich Star.