Ipswich: Call to keep garage site as open space
IPSWICH: When a building is demolished, people are usually keen to see its replacement take shape to avoid an area becoming overgrown and unsightly.
But after the demolition of the former Kwik Fit garage in St Marg-aret’s Green earlier this year, some residents are calling for the site to remain open to improve the area.
The demolition of the old garage has opened up views of the Manor House and ballroom that have not been seen for generations, and has also improved air quality in what is one of the pollution hotspots of the town.
Surveyor Ronald Llewellyn is hoping to set up a charitable trust to buy the land and keep it open. There have been suggestions it could be a good site for public art or even a wind turbine!
Mr Llewellyn said: “Now that the building has gone, it has opened up an attractive view of some of the most historic buildings in Ipswich and many people would like to see that retained.
“We have a meeting with officials at the borough to see whether this idea could be progressed.”
There are outstanding outline planning permissions in existence for the site to be developed as flats or student accommodation.
- 1 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 2 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 3 Man dies following single vehicle crash near Ipswich
- 4 Carer avoids jail after fraudulently obtaining £3,500 at Ipswich home
- 5 Wahoo skating shop moving from Ipswich to Woodbridge
- 6 Drug dealer escapes jail after £3k worth of cannabis found at home
- 7 Hunt for Vicky's killer continues nearly six months after suspect arrested
- 8 Man charged in connection of drug offences in Ipswich
- 9 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 10 Ipswich shop owner among UK's top 100 female business women
However there is not thought to be any immediate prospect of building work starting in the current economic climate. An Ipswich Borough Council spokeswoman said: “We are aware of local interest for an alternative use of the site and will be holding discussions later this week.”
n Do you think the former garage site should be left open? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN.