Ipswich: Caravans park up at popular beauty spot
IPSWICH: An Ipswich beauty spot has become home to a group of travellers who have set up camp there.
Around a dozen caravans and mobile homes moved on to the car park at Orwell Country Park, off Nacton Road, on Friday.
Ipswich Borough Councillor Martin Cook, who represents the Gainsborough ward, said he first became aware of the travellers on Friday.
He said: “I heard there were ten vans and associated vehicles through the council’s housing support services team. I know the parks team have visited the site and removed some black bin bags and are planning to locate a skip there.”
Mr Cook said that he had not had any reports or complaints from anyone so far.
However, he revealed the council’s legal team are involved along with the traveller liaison officers.
It is understood that legal proceedings to deal with the issue will begin early this week.
- 1 Hank's Deli closes its doors but remembers food bank
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 3 Appeal to find 33-year-old missing man
- 4 Plasterer who stalked ex-girlfriend is handed restraining order
- 5 Five-bedroom home with 'beautiful countryside views' on market for £800K
- 6 Drug addict stole £7,000 from safe at auction house
- 7 Nursing class looking to reunite after four decades
- 8 Matchday Live: Chaplin wins it as Town claim three points
- 9 School's 'greatest ever sporting achievement' could take them to Wembley
- 10 Teenager 'kicked and punched' by man during Ipswich assault
Mr Cook said: “It can be difficult like any legal proceedings not being straight forward but the council’s legal officers are well trained in what they need to do to remove the travellers.”
Two years ago The Star reported on travellers who had moved on to land near Ravenswood.
The council later took legal action to remove them from the site.
Mr Cook added: “It’s not common for travellers to move on to Orwell Country Park. I think it’s only happened once before but the necessary legal steps were taken.”
A Suffolk police spokeswoman confirmed there had been no reports of any issues at Orwell Country Park.
n Do you live in the area? What do you think? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org