Ipswich: Ed Balls full of praise for the work and location of credit union during visit to the town
- Credit: Archant
Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer Ed Balls yesterday praised the work and the location of the Eastern Savings and Loans branch in Ipswich during a visit to east Suffolk.
The organisation was formed by a merger of the Ipswich and Suffolk Credit Union with two other unions in the region. Among the service’s roles is to offer loans at a fair rate of interest.
Mr Balls visited the new Westgate Street branch yesterday, which followed a visit to BT in Martlesham and spoke with members of the group to find out more about what it offers people in Ipswich and Suffolk.
He said: “I have been to many credit unions across the country and this is one of the most prominent and open locations I have seen.”
He added the fact it was on the high street would make it more accessible to the public and help them to offer vital services to people who need it.
You may also want to watch:
Ipswich Borough Council leader David Ellesmere also joined the group yesterday.
He said: “It is great to have Ed’s support.
- 1 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 2 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 3 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
- 4 Ipswich Flooring Superstore opening brings jobs and investment
- 5 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 6 £1,600 worth of power tools stolen while owner was shopping
- 7 New movie to be shot in Suffolk in 2022, author announces
- 8 What are the Covid rates in Suffolk — and could Christmas be affected?
- 9 Man arrested following Ipswich sexual assault
- 10 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
“We are really proud of what we have managed to do here for the credit union and they are really pleased with how it has gone.”