Ipswich: Former trainee nurses meet up to mark 50 years since they started their training
- Credit: Su Anderson
Half a century has passed since a group of trainee nurses first met to embark on a career of caring.
And this week, 50 years on, the women gathered to rekindle memories and friendships.
The group all trained at the former Anglesea Road Wing of Ipswich Hospital, now Anglesea Heights Nursing Home, with many going on to have long nursing careers and some ending up overseas.
They met for lunch at The Raven pub, in Ravenswood, on Wednesday and an old group photograph of the nurses at the site helped them to reminisce about their first day in the uniform.
Among the group at the reunion was Marion Clarke, 68, of Ipswich, who after her training, worked as a staff nurse and in occupational health nursing, in addition to other positions in the sector.
The grandmother-of-five said: “It was good fun. A lot of us used to live in the nurses’ home there (Norton House) and we had some good times.
“There was some high jinx but a lot of hard work. We have got good memories of our training.
- 1 Road near Ipswich town centre closed after crash involving motorcyclist
- 2 New independent baby shop opens in Ipswich
- 3 Man used drawstring from JD Sports bag to drag woman to the ground
- 4 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 5 'Fresh and timeless' Greek cuisine comes to Ipswich
- 6 Village suffers power cut for 7 hours after vehicle hits electricity pole
- 7 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 8 When will bins be collected in Ipswich this Bank Holiday weekend?
- 9 Suffolk man collapsed at friend's home
- 10 See inside Ipswich home with stunning views of the town from own turret
“It was brilliant (the reunion). We didn’t stop talking from the time we met to the time we left. We were reminiscing about old times and catching up on how we are all doing.”
During their training, the nurses at the reunion were involved in a number of different activities including communicating with patients and ensuring they were fed properly.
The hospital was founded as the East Suffolk and Ipswich Hospital and Dispensary, before becoming Ipswich Hospital, Anglesea Road Wing.
It closed in the mid 1980s after its services were transferred to what is now Ipswich Hospital in Heath Road.