Ipswich: Grandchildren pay fond tribute to former mayor Don Edwards
IPSWICH: Grandchildren of former mayor Don Edwards have paid tribute to a “caring and loving man”.
Mr Edwards, 76, who represented the Gainsborough ward for the borough for nearly 30 years, died at Addenbrooke’s hospital, Cambridge, on Saturday after a brain haemorrhage.
Mr Edwards was known for his love of Ipswich and its football team.
Today, his grandchildren, Charlene Burman, Alexander and Emily Edwards remembered Mr Edwards’ kindhearted nature.
Miss Burman said: “He was a caring and loving man who will be sadly missed by us all. My children and I will miss him dearly and we love him more than words can say.”
Alexander added: “He was the best grandfather in the world, I couldn’t have wished for anyone better. He was always there for me any time I ever needed him.
“He was the most caring , loving man I’ve ever known and he’s lived life to the max.”
- 1 Most desirable places to live in Ipswich according to estate agents
- 2 Ipswich man charged with string of sexual offences
- 3 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals locked up so far in 2022
- 4 Ipswich Music Day 2022: All you need to know
- 5 Missing 12-year-old girl from Ipswich found safe
- 6 Woman 'froze' after seeing masked men with machetes in Ipswich
- 7 OPINION: Free sporting activities for children return to Ipswich this summer
- 8 Plans for 440 homes and visitor centre in Ipswich Garden Suburb submitted
- 9 Ipswich singer to perform UK festival tour after scoring club hit
- 10 Could you offer one of these rescue animals their forever home in Suffolk?
Emily Edwards said her grandfather was with the angels. She said: “Thinking of all the happy memories which I will never forget.”
The funeral of Don Edwards will take place on May 24 at 11.30am at Ipswich Crematorium, West Chapel. Any donations are asked to be made to the Cats Protection League or the Guide Dogs For The Blind. They can be sent to East of England Co-operative Funeral Service.
n See page 22 for Paul Geater’s column.
n Do you want to pay a tribute to Don Edwards? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail email@example.com