Ipswich hoping for cultural accolade
IPSWICH is one of the contenders to become the UK's first City of Culture in 2013, it emerged today.It is one of 29 contenders from across the country aiming to take the title for the first time.
IPSWICH is one of the contenders to become the UK's first City of Culture in 2013, it emerged today.
The town is one of 29 contenders from across the country aiming to take the inaugural title.
Ipswich is bidding as part of the Haven Gateway, and could include cultural attractions like Constable Country, the Orwell Estuary and the Suffolk Heritage Coast in its submission.
The full list was due to be announced later this month, but news emerged after TV mogul Phil Redmond, who is heading the search, revealed the details to a national newspaper.
You may also want to watch:
Ipswich will be competing against places with a well-known cultural background, like Oxford, Chester, Manchester, and Cheltenham and Gloucester, and also against nominees whose cultural identity is less clear - like Barnsley, Hull, and Wakefield.
One nomination has come from “The Countryside” while the entire county of Cornwall is hoping to persuade Mr Redmond's team it is a “City of Culture”.
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 3 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 4 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 5 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 6 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 7 First look inside Ipswich's new Geek Retreat games cafe
- 8 Man caused £26k worth of damage after setting fire to van and car
- 9 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 10 'It's like we're in the stone age' - Homophobic abuse halts LGBT+ parties
Borough director Jonathan Owen said Ipswich had not yet submitted a formal bid - it has only expressed an interest in joining the race - but he was confident the town had a strong case.
He said: “When you look at what Ipswich and the Haven Gateway has to offer, we feel there is a very good chance of this area being the first UK City of Culture.”