Man arrested after armed police called to Wherstead Road incident is released under investigation

Police incident in Wherstead Road. Picture: ARCHANT

Police incident in Wherstead Road. Picture: ARCHANT - Credit: Archant

A man arrested after reportedly being armed with a gun and allegedly holding a young woman against her will at a house in Ipswich this morning has been released under investigation, pending further enquiries, police have said.

Armed police swooped on a house in Wherstead Road at 5.30am following concerns for the safety of a woman in her 20s.

Detectives shut the entire road in both directions from its junctions with The Strand and Hawes Street for some time while investigation work was carried out at the scene.

Drivers reported being turned away from the area by officers armed with guns.

The road reopened at around 8am.

Police said a 25-year-old man from the Ipswich area had been arrested on suspicion of kidnap in connection with the incident. He was questioned by detectives at Martlesham Police Investigation Centre.

It is believed that the suspect and woman knew each other, police said.

Most Read

This morning, a police spokeswoman said: “Police were called at 5.30am, following a concern for safety of a woman in her 20s from the town, who was reportedly being held against her will at an address on Wherstead Road.

“Armed officers attended the scene and a man was arrested on suspicion of kidnap.”

On Sunday night, a force spokesman said in an update: “The man has been released under investigation, pending further enquiries.”

A firearm was recovered from the scene and has been sent away for examination.

People living nearby said they heard a lot of noise and saw several police cars parked up on the side of the road.

One resident, who did not want to be named, said: “It was quite scary, we didn’t know what was going on and still don’t know.

“We heard a lot of noise and all we could see were blue lights and police officers with big guns. The road was completely blocked off.”

A dog walker, who also wanted to remain anonymous, said officers were turning people away. They added: “People were trying to get through but the bit of road near The Strand near the roundabout leading to Shotley was cut off by the police.

“We just stayed away but it looked pretty serious because there were so many police vehicles and it was all quite dramatic if I’m honest.

“It’s not really what you usually tend to see here on a Sunday morning.”