Ipswich man assaulted security staff after he told court he had filmed proceedings,

South East Suffolk Magistrates Court in Elm Street.

South East Suffolk Magistrates Court in Elm Street. - Credit: Sarah Lucy brown

An Ipswich man is awaiting his fate after admitting assaulting two security officers called to a court because he said he had filmed proceedings.

Joe Drew, of Cardiff Avenue, will now be sentenced next month after pleading guilty to two assault offences when he appeared before West Suffolk Magistrates Court in Bury St Edmunds.

The 29-year-old was arrested after the incident which occurred at South East Magistrates Court in Ipswich on May 28.

The prosecution alleged a legal advisor was becoming concerned about Drew’s behaviour as a case was progressing.

It was alleged he was acting in a hostile manner towards people in court by talking over them.

Drew then took issue with the legal advisor who had told him to keep quiet.

The court usher called for security. While a security officer was on his way to the court Drew was said to have enquired why they were needed as he had been recording all the proceedings.

Most Read

He then held out his Smartphone.

A male member of the court’s security staff arrived and was asked to take the phone off Drew. However, it became clear he was not going to hand over the device.

Drew was said to pushed his was out of the court as he headed towards an airlock between the courtroom door and the door leading to the waiting area.

Other security staff were called to assist and two more officers went to the area.

A struggle ensued but Drew managed to get out and left the building.

As a result of what went on the male security officer sustained a pulled right shoulder and two cuts to his left wrist.

A female colleague sustained damage to her left hand.

Police arrested Drew at his home.

Drew told officers it was him who had been assaulted, according to the prosecution.

The case was adjourned for a pre-sentencing report to be compiled.

Drew is due to be sentenced at Norwich Magistrates Court on August 18.