Ipswich: Man left fearing for life after knife attack in town
IPSWICH: Police are today investigating three violent attacks in the town in the space of a few days.
Aidan McTiernan today claimed he was scared to walk down his road after he was slashed with a knife on his way to work on Friday morning.
A second knife attack happened later that day on a pizza delivery driver who was left shaken but unharmed after he was threatened by a group in Sallows Close.
In a third incident, a 17-year-old boy was pushed to the floor as his attackers made off with his mobile phone on January 7.
Mr McTiernan, 20, was slashed three times by another man who stopped him for a lighter in Spring Road. Despite having two jumpers on, the cuts pierced his skin and have left marks.
Mr McTiernan, who is a sub-contractor for Suffolk County Council, said: “I feel quite scared to walk down my road to go to work now. He might be waiting for me another morning.”
But Mr McTiernan, who lives with his girlfriend, 17-year-old Laura Thurlow in Spring Road, does not believe the attack was random because his attacker asked what his name was.
- 1 Man detained after early morning incident in Ipswich road
- 2 Firefighters called to Ipswich house fire
- 3 Baby and toddler retailer Mamas & Papas set for Ipswich return
- 4 7 roadworks for drivers in Suffolk to be aware of this week
- 5 Woman injured after leg bitten by dog in Ipswich
- 6 Man who stole over £1,000 in power tools jailed for 876 days
- 7 Boy, 14, arrested after serious sex attack in Suffolk town is released
- 8 Some East of England Co-op stores unable to take cash
- 9 New 99-room Ipswich Travelodge expected to open next year
- 10 Men charged with heroin and crack cocaine offences in Ipswich
“I’ve never seen the man in my life but it must be something to do with my family name because he asked if I was a McTiernan and if I was on my way to work,” he added.
“When I said ‘yes’ his face just switched from normal to psycho and he just slashed me.
“My gut instinct was to punch him and run off.”
Mr McTiernan ran straight home to his shocked girlfriend and called the police.
“I told Laura I’d been slashed and she was so angry,” he said. “I didn’t end up going to work because the police came over.”
He sustained three slash wounds to his chest and stomach but said it could have been a lot worse if he hadn’t been wearing many layers of clothing.
He added: “I’m thankful I was wearing two thick jumpers but the knife still went through all the layers and cut me, drawing blood.
“I could have ended up in hospital or dead, even.”
Suffolk police is investigating the incident and has released a description of the offender.
He is in his 50s, white, around 6ft 5ins tall, of a stocky build, has a black beard and spoke with a deep voice.
He was wearing a black zip-up hoodie, dark blue jeans and black trainers.
Anyone with information, who witnessed the incident or recognises the man described should call Pc Nikki Holley from Ipswich on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.