Ipswich man's all-year winterland
WIZZARD may well have wished it could be Christmas every day but for Ipswich man Tony Vinyard, that's exactly what it is.Every Christmas his Swallow Road home glitters like Santa Claus's grotto with festive decorations in every corner, inside and out.
By Jessica Nicholls
WIZZARD may well have wished it could be Christmas every day but for Ipswich man Tony Vinyard, that's exactly what it is.
Every Christmas his Swallow Road home glitters like Santa Claus's grotto with festive decorations in every corner, inside and out.
But with 185 days left until the big day, passers-by might be forgiven for wondering if they have just stepped into a time warp.
You may also want to watch:
While most people are dreaming about exotic locations for their summer holiday, Tony's mind is drifting toward Lapland.
Yes, it is the middle of summer and yes, Father Christmas is still riding his sleigh up the front of Tony's house.
- 1 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 4 Jailed in Suffolk: See the three men locked up this week
- 5 Kesgrave Kitchen praised by local MP after 'fantastic' transformation
- 6 Man to face trial over claims he sexually assaulted toddler in the street
- 7 Meet the Ipswich teenage singer who gave £17.5k away to charity
- 8 Man accused of burgling GP surgeries and pharmacy appears in court
- 9 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 10 Stroke survivor cut off from family in lockdown returns home
The 67-year-old claims he has not had time to take all the decorations down, but also admitted that he actually loves Christmas so much he hates taking any of them down at all.
He said: "All my neighbours love it, they keep coming round to make sure that I am putting all of them back up for Christmas.
"I have not really had time to take them all down, but I just leave them up there because I hate taking them down after Christmas."
Tony and his wife, Thelma, love Christmas as their large family all go round for tea – three children, thirteen grandchildren, three great- grandchildren…with another two on the way.
It is not surprising that Tony and Thelma are keen on leaving the decorations up as it takes them a good month to decorate the house inside and out ready for December 1.
Tony said: "I do the outside and my wife does the inside.
"We have four Christmas trees that she makes up, she does the living room and we also have a large conservatory that she does as well as the porch."
Both children and adults in the area swarm to see the festive light spectacular complete with Father Christmases and snowmen spread across his entire house.
The decorations have been gracing Swallow Road for the last ten years and the collection is getting bigger and bigger each time.
Tony said: "When you come into the top of our road, the lights from our house hit you and it looks really nice.
"I have bought some more this year and I am hoping to put a nativity scene together.
"As long as they keep making different things, I will keep buying them."