Ipswich: Man slumped drunk at wheel
ipswich: A man found slumped drunk over the steering wheel of his car with a can of beer at his side is today facing the prospect of prison.
Robert Aitchison, of Newberry Road in Bildeston, admitted being drunk while in charge of a vehicle at South East Suffolk Magistrates’ court on Thursday.
Police caught the 42-year-old after receiving a string of calls from members of the public, including pedestrians, alerting them to a grey Mitsubishi four-wheel drive in the Burlington Road area of Ipswich.
When officers arrived at the scene they found Aitchison slumped over the steering wheel of the car, with a can of lager in the central console of the vehicle.
Prosecutor Colette Griffiths told the court a breath test after his arrest revealed Aitchison had 97 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath - the legal limit is 35mg, making him nearly three times the legal limit.
Mrs Griffiths told the court Aitchison has a string of previous convictions relating to driving and alcohol, including four similar incidents in the last six years.
Chair of the magistrates Joan Overett told Aitchison he could face anything from a fine to a medium community sentence, and up to six weeks in prison.
- 1 Woman jailed for having sex with Ipswich schoolboy
- 2 Group of youths seen carrying weapons in Ipswich park
- 3 Police launch appeal to identify man after incident in Ipswich
- 4 Road closure 'chaos' for residents during fibre works
- 5 Ice cream kiosk at Suffolk beauty spot destroyed in arson
- 6 Man who sexually assaulted toddler in the street could be jailed
- 7 Animal sex charges against Kesgrave vet dropped, but child images admitted
- 8 First look at 172-bed student accommodation plan
- 9 Education 'exemplary' at Outstanding Ipswich academy
- 10 Double-decker bus bought on eBay becomes new home for evicted Suffolk family
Aitchison will return to the court in Elm Street next Thursday to be sentenced.