Ipswich man who brandished axe when baliffs came to his home is jailed

Sycamore Close, Ipswich

Sycamore Close, Ipswich

A man who brandished an axe when baliffs came to his Ipswich home to collect a court debt has been jailed.

Careem Shah - jailed for incident with baliffs in Sycamore Close.

Careem Shah - jailed for incident with baliffs in Sycamore Close. - Credit: Archant

Careem Shah had been charged with affray and possession of a weapon in a public place following an incident in Sycamore Close, Pinewood, on August 21 last year which attracted media publicity at the time.

However, when Shah appeared at South East Suffolk Magistrates’ court the accusations were amended and the 29-year-old pleaded guilty to threatening behaviour and possession of an axe.

District Judge Celia Dawson sentenced Shah to 16 weeks’ imprisonment. He must also pay £80 to the victims’ fund as well as £50 each to the three baliffs who attended his property on the day of the offences.

Shah’s co-accused Kyle Sharpe, of Hall Pond Way, Felixstowe, also admitted threatening behaviour at the same hearing.

The 25-year-old was given a 12-month community order. Sharpe was also ordered to pay costs of £85 and £60 to the victims’ fund.

Previously prosecutor Lucy Miller had told the court the incident began just before 2pm when baliffs went to Shah’s home to carry out a court warrant. Shah owed £590 to Southend Magistrates’ Court.

Most Read

Shah answered the door and was told he must pay the debt or property would be seized in lieu of it.

He closed the door and appeared a short time later to ask for a moment before they carried out the warrant.

The court heard he then re-appeared and said to the baliffs: “I’m going. You crack on.”

Shah then drove off in an Audi.

The property was locked so baliffs left their telephone number on the door.

They later received a call from Shah who had returned with two men and a woman.

After going back to Sycamore Close one of the baliffs began to clamp Shah’s Audi as there was no answer when they knocked on his door.

Shah was in the garden of his property and when he became aware of what was going on went around to the front with the others.

A scuffle broke out.

The court heard Shah got into the Audi and reversed it causing the clamp, which had not been fully fixed, to come off.

Towards the end of the incident a man got into the Audi and drove away.

Shah, who had got out of the vehicle, was then said to have made threats against the baliffs telling them the ‘boys were coming’. He then went into the house before re-appearing with an axe.

The court was told Sharpe tried to calm the situation down.

He then got into another vehicle and was driven away, spitting at one of the baliffs hitting him on the arm.

Shah disappeared into the house.

Two other people are due to stand trial in relation to the incident.

Lindsay King, 28, of Willowcroft Road, Ipswich, and Aaron Mathias, 24, of Orwell Gardens, Ipswich, have denied threatening behaviour.

Their trial is scheduled for March 24.