Ipswich: Manhunt continues for knife thug who robbed group in Alexandra Park
IPSWICH: The hunt is continuing today for a knife-wielding mugger who robbed a group of people in broad daylight.
Police are gathering evidence in the search for the robber who threatened four men, aged between 18 and 20, and a 20-year-old woman with a knife as they enjoyed a sunny Saturday afternoon in Alexandra Park.
He forced the group to hand over cash, phones, a bag and an MP3 player among other valuables.
The incident has raised fears in the community around the usually peaceful park which is home to the town’s annual Mayday event and recent Multicultural festival – coming just a week after another mugging in nearby Spring Road – with some residents saying they are worried about going out in the area.
Alexandra ward councillor Harvey Crane said: “The thing that struck me was that it was at 3pm in broad daylight.
“These things very rarely happen during the day and it’s probably an isolated incident.
“The wider message I would have is that people shouldn’t be frightened to go out because of this. We have the highest number of elderly people in deprivation in Ipswich, and I really wouldn’t want to think they would be fearful of going out and enjoying this nice summer weather.
- 1 Man in 40s stabbed at town centre multi-storey car park
- 2 Fuel protests: Twelve miles of queues reported on A12
- 3 Ellie makes impressive prom entrance - in a truck
- 4 Tent, kitchen units and bedding dumped in 'unsightly' fly-tipping
- 5 Ipswich man, 27, arrested after stabbing in Bury St Edmunds car park
- 6 Man order to sign sex offenders' registers for possessing indecent images
- 7 Jailed in June: The Suffolk criminals locked up last month
- 8 15 of the best photos from Ipswich Music Day 2022
- 9 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk neighbourhoods with highest Covid rates
- 10 Woman in 30s seriously injured after crash in south Suffolk
“It’s usually a lovely park – we walk our dog round there quite frequently – and there is actually a nice mix of people with different backgrounds in that area.”
The incident happened near the main entrance of the park at around 3pm on Saturday, when the suspect approached the group from Foxhall Road on a dark green bicycle.
He is described as being a little over 20, white, between 5ft 7in and 5ft 9in with short blond hair which had a pattern shaved into the sides and stubble. He was wearing a zipped up black hooded top with dark jeans, and left in the direction of Grove Lane.
Anyone with information is asked to call police on 01473 613500.
n How do you feel about going out in the area? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or you can send an e-mail to email@example.com