Ipswich McDonald’s stabbing victim expected to make full recovery

Police at the scene at Ravenswood avenue McDonalds Picture: ARCHANT

Police at the scene at Ravenswood avenue McDonalds Picture: ARCHANT - Credit: ARCHANT

Police have confirmed that the 16-year-old victim of Wednesday night’s stabbing at McDonald’s in Ravenswood Avenue, Ipswich, is expected to make a full recovery.

Chief Superintendent Tonya Antonis Picture: ROSS HALLS

Chief Superintendent Tonya Antonis Picture: ROSS HALLS - Credit: Archant

It is thought the incident began in the car park and continued inside – where witnesses included dining families – but was not linked to the killing of Tavis Spencer-Aitkens, despite the victim being known to the 17-year-old who died in another brazenly public stabbing a mile away.

The victim was taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries, but was in a stable condition and talking on Thursday afternoon, when Chief Superintendent Tonya Antonis said he had yet to be interviewed, but that four people from Ipswich had been arrested – an 18-year-old man on suspicion of attempted murder, a 20-year-old man and 22-year-old-man for GBH, and a 17-year-old boy for affray and possessing a knife.

She added: “At this stage, we aren’t looking for anybody else. However, it could change, depending on how on these investigations progress.”

Ch Supt Antonis said she understood people’s alarm at the public nature of the incident, which, like the killing of Tavis in Packard Avenue on June 2, has been described as “targeted”.

“What we saw was a brazen attack in broad daylight, in a very public area, and the young people involved really not understanding the consequences of carrying a knife,” she added.

“This is fighting between groups of young people who are known to each other, and we want to reassure the community that we will continue our policing presence, investigate and bring those responsible to justice.

Most Read

“We are working very hard with partners to try to prevent young people getting involved in gangs, and not getting caught up in further violence, and I think we need to remind ourselves of the message that Tavis’ family made just a few days ago, saying we really don’t want any other parent to go through the heartbreak they’re currently suffering – and that it has it stop.”

Ch Supt Antonis said police were working with witnesses and appealing for more information.

She added: “There will be members of the community that will know the bigger picture, know the underline issues in what’s happening here and know the people involved, and my message to them is that it’s time for you to step up, do the right thing and talk to us.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter