Ipswich: MP Ben Gummer and his wife Sarah celebrate arrival of their first baby - and it is a boy
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich MP Ben Gummer has become a father for the first time after his wife Sarah gave birth to a baby boy early yesterday.
The 7lb 7oz baby was born at a London Hospital in the early hours of the morning. Both are doing well.
Mr Gummer said: “Our baby arrived at 01:21 this morning. Both of us are deliriously happy with our new son. He is teaching us parenthood and so far all his lessons have been gentle and delightful.”
The new baby is a first grandchild for Lord Deben, the former Suffolk Coastal MP John Gummer, and his wife Penny.
Lord Deben said: “It is very, very good news for the family. We are looking forward to seeing him very shortly. The National Health Service did a wonderful job looking after them.
“One of the miracles of modern science is that we’ve seen pictures of him before we actually get to visit him. He seems to already be quite an alert baby with his eyes open looking at the world around him.”
Ipswich Conservative Association chair Liz Harsant said: “I am thrilled. I am so pleased for both of them and it is wonderful news.
- 1 Teenager sexually assaulted and then robbed in Ipswich
- 2 GALLERY: Photos show devastating aftermath of huge fire near Ipswich
- 3 Travellers pitch up in one of Ipswich's busiest parks
- 4 'He'd be dead' - mum's terror after wave drags her and baby down beach
- 5 Teenager’s 10 year sentence is warning over ‘horrendous’ acid attacks
- 6 Open air theatre coming to Ipswich park later this month
- 7 One of the world's largest container ships arrives at Port of Felixstowe
- 8 Police cordon in place outside former Grimwades store in Ipswich
- 9 Smoke seen across Ipswich as crews tackle large fire
- 10 Redundant care home being used as homes applying for planning after 5 years
“I know Ben will make a wonderful father – he is so good with children.”
Mr Gummer’s opponent in next year’s general election, David Ellesmere, said: “Congratulations to Ben and Sarah on the birth of their baby boy. I wish them lots of joy with their new boy.”