Ipswich: MP Ben Gummer and his wife Sarah celebrate arrival of their first baby - and it is a boy
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich MP Ben Gummer has become a father for the first time after his wife Sarah gave birth to a baby boy early yesterday.
The 7lb 7oz baby was born at a London Hospital in the early hours of the morning. Both are doing well.
Mr Gummer said: “Our baby arrived at 01:21 this morning. Both of us are deliriously happy with our new son. He is teaching us parenthood and so far all his lessons have been gentle and delightful.”
The new baby is a first grandchild for Lord Deben, the former Suffolk Coastal MP John Gummer, and his wife Penny.
Lord Deben said: “It is very, very good news for the family. We are looking forward to seeing him very shortly. The National Health Service did a wonderful job looking after them.
“One of the miracles of modern science is that we’ve seen pictures of him before we actually get to visit him. He seems to already be quite an alert baby with his eyes open looking at the world around him.”
Ipswich Conservative Association chair Liz Harsant said: “I am thrilled. I am so pleased for both of them and it is wonderful news.
- 1 Weather warning for Suffolk as thunderstorms expected to affect travel
- 2 A12 reopens after air ambulance called to three-lorry crash
- 3 Men convicted of kidnap and rape of Ipswich girl
- 4 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
- 5 Company fined £12,000 for repeatedly failing to clear Ipswich flat's waste
- 6 New Venezuelan restaurant to bring fusion of flavour to Ipswich
- 7 Food review: ‘The Botanist in Ipswich lives up to the hype’
- 8 Forbidden Suffolk: 6 places you can't visit in the county
- 9 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 10 Cyclist injured after colliding with car in busy Ipswich road
“I know Ben will make a wonderful father – he is so good with children.”
Mr Gummer’s opponent in next year’s general election, David Ellesmere, said: “Congratulations to Ben and Sarah on the birth of their baby boy. I wish them lots of joy with their new boy.”