Ipswich: Raiders wreck playgroup and steal kids’ cash
Ipswich: Children at a playgroup have been left devastated after thieves broke in, trashed their kitchen and made off with more than �300.
Staff at You and Me Playgroup, which has its home in St Mary Magdalen’s Church Hall, were appalled when they discovered the theft, after nearby builders spotted a broken kitchen window.
The building in Highfield Approach had its kitchen window smashed with a brick, while the kitchen was vandalised.
The offender or offenders then moved through a sliding serving hatch into the main hall and out into the lobby area.
The playgroup stores its confidential files in a filing cabinet behind a three-inch thick fire door off the lobby which was broken through.
The files were scattered across the floor and �335 was taken.
The money had been raised by the children, their friends and family to purchase new soft play equipment for the playgroup.
- 1 Men convicted of kidnap and rape of Ipswich girl
- 2 A12 reopens after air ambulance called to three-lorry crash
- 3 Weather warning for Suffolk as thunderstorms expected to affect travel
- 4 New Venezuelan restaurant to bring fusion of flavour to Ipswich
- 5 Two arrests made following stabbing
- 6 Forbidden Suffolk: 6 places you can't visit in the county
- 7 Man stabbed in back and sides in Ipswich attack
- 8 'We're lucky to get her back' - Drone finds missing Pinky after 17 days
- 9 Baby Elsie in ship-shape despite dramatic birth in car at Sutton Hoo
- 10 Community calls for action as two questioned over Ipswich stabbing
Manager Julie Gray said: “We’re saddened by the whole thing. It’s the intrusion really – they just trashed the place.
“It’s what you have to pick up afterwards. It was thankful that they didn’t make more mess.”
The incident took place some time between 10pm on April 13 and 5pm on April 14.
Children at the playgroup have been raising the funds since February.
“It was for new equipment which we really do need,” Julie said.
“We’re now having to start all over again.”
Contact Pc Adam Long on 101 if you have information.
n Have you been the victim of a crime? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich IP4 1AN, or e-mail email@example.com