Ipswich: Raiders wreck playgroup and steal kids’ cash
Ipswich: Children at a playgroup have been left devastated after thieves broke in, trashed their kitchen and made off with more than �300.
Staff at You and Me Playgroup, which has its home in St Mary Magdalen’s Church Hall, were appalled when they discovered the theft, after nearby builders spotted a broken kitchen window.
The building in Highfield Approach had its kitchen window smashed with a brick, while the kitchen was vandalised.
The offender or offenders then moved through a sliding serving hatch into the main hall and out into the lobby area.
The playgroup stores its confidential files in a filing cabinet behind a three-inch thick fire door off the lobby which was broken through.
You may also want to watch:
The files were scattered across the floor and �335 was taken.
The money had been raised by the children, their friends and family to purchase new soft play equipment for the playgroup.
- 1 The Walk in Ipswich town centre cordoned off by police
- 2 62-year-old arrested following incident in Ipswich town centre
- 3 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 4 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 5 'Devious' Ipswich doctor jailed for sending fake texts to flatmate
- 6 'I'm very lucky' – Ipswich biker-chef lost arm and hand in A14 crash
- 7 'We don't want them here' - Work continues to make Maple Park safer
- 8 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 9 250 Ipswich patients fined after failing to pay for their prescriptions
- 10 Revealed: The most popular names for babies born in Suffolk in 2020
Manager Julie Gray said: “We’re saddened by the whole thing. It’s the intrusion really – they just trashed the place.
“It’s what you have to pick up afterwards. It was thankful that they didn’t make more mess.”
The incident took place some time between 10pm on April 13 and 5pm on April 14.
Children at the playgroup have been raising the funds since February.
“It was for new equipment which we really do need,” Julie said.
“We’re now having to start all over again.”
Contact Pc Adam Long on 101 if you have information.
n Have you been the victim of a crime? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich IP4 1AN, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org