Ipswich: Super Blues are top of the league – for pies!
Fans of the Super Blues have proved they are passionate about Portman Road pies by helping the club to scoop a prestigious prize.
The blues have won a unique contest set up by food firm Hospitality and Catering News.
The competition, entitled The Football Pie League, invited soccer fans from across the country to nominate their favourite home and away team pie.
The votes were collated in a league table with one point being awarded for a home nomination and five being given for an away one.
After the final votes were counted Town managed to pip Blackburn Rovers into first place and also scored a notable victory over local rivals Norwich City, who came fifth.
Staff gathered at Portman Road yesterday to accept the accolade and also enjoyed a special pie-tasting session to celebrate.
Mike Rieder, the club’s head of conference and banqueting, said: “We are very proud to receive this award.
- 1 Person dies in Ipswich house fire
- 2 Karaoke noise complaints prompts fear Grade II pub could close
- 3 Family's gratitude after Christmas samaritan's £50 act of kindness
- 4 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 5 Police 'concerned' for missing 15-year-old who was last seen a week ago
- 6 Speed limit on Orwell Bridge reduced as Storm Barra hits region
- 7 Matchday Recap: McGreal's Town beaten at The Valley
- 8 Beautiful new bottomless brunches launch at Ipswich bar
- 9 When will my bins be collected this Christmas?
- 10 Former camera shop Jessops cited for three flats in Ipswich
“We just want to serve a great product and to have that recognised by football fans is fantastic.
“It’s a great product, a great prize and hopefully fans will continue to enjoy their pies next season.”
Denis Sheehan, from Hospitality and Catering News, said: “Ipswich fans have proved they are passionate about the club’s pies.
“They voted in their droves and really helped to push the team over the finishing line and into first spot.
“Having tasted the pies myself, I can say they’re a deserved winner.”