Ipswich Town fans arrested in Norwich for breaching “direction to leave” notice before East Anglian derby

Town fans at Carrow Road for the derby match

Town fans at Carrow Road for the derby match

Two Ipswich Town fans were arrested when they ignored police orders to leave Norwich before today’s East Anglian derby.

A group of 14 Blues fans, who were known to police, were given a “direction to leave” notice at Norwich Train Station in an attempt to prevent any disorder.

However two men breached the order by refusing to leave the area and was arrested by police before Town’s 2-0 defeat.

Despite taunting from both sets of supporters, police were able to keep Norwich and Ipswich fans apart as they arrived to Carrow Road.

There were two further arrests, one involving a man who was detained at the ground for causing criminal damage while another was arrested for being drunk and disorderly.

Before the game some Norwich and Ipswich fans attempted to goad each other, but police who were stood in the middle of the two sets of supporters, were able to prevent anything from happening.

Post match, a large group of police officers marched down to the train station with the Ipswich fans.

Most Read

Three police horses were placed by the front doors of the train station to prevent any violence from escalating between Norwich and Ipswich fans who were chanting at each other.

There was delays for travellers with the 4.20pm Norwich to Ipswich train delayed by eight minutes due to disruptive passengers.

Police have thanked fans for showing “good spirit” at the match.

Match-day policing commander, Chief Superintendent Nick Davison, said: “Overall there was good spirit between both sets of fans resulting in minimal disorder.

“The policing operation was firm in places and these tactics were used to ensure supporters enjoyed the game and journeys to and from the stadium in a safe environment.

“Fourteen away fans were given direction to leave notices at Norwich train station as a result of their behaviour; enough to cause concern to officers who took this reactive measure in a bid to prevent disorder. These supporters had been spoken to by police during their journey from Ipswich and were fully aware of the standards of behaviour expected but sadly their conduct fell short of this resulting in police taking action.”

After the match police put cordons in place around the stadium to ensure fans could move safely from the ground and begin their journeys home.

“Additional road closures were put in place to ensure the safety of those attending before and after the match and I would like to thank motorists for their co-operation during this time.”

Police have thanked counterparts in Suffolk and British Transport Police for their assistance as well as other partner agencies involved in the operation.

Around 2,000 Ipswich fans were expected to make the trip to Norfolk for today’s game.