Ipswich/USA: Paul Mason – Britain’s former fattest man – is set to meet girlfriend face-to-face for the first time
- Credit: Archant
Paul Mason, once dubbed Britain’s fattest man, will meet the new-found love of his life next month.
Just a day after revealing to the world his whirlwind romance with Rebecca Mountain, who lives more than 3,000 miles away near Boston in the US, a national news broadcaster has stepped in to help the lovebirds meet.
After spotting Mr Mason’s story in The Star, ITV has pledged to pay for Miss Mountain to fly across to the UK to meet the man she fell in love with over the internet.
The 52-year-old, who once tipped the scales at 70 stone and consumed on average 20,000 calories a day, said he is “over the moon” at the prospect of seeing Rebecca face-to-face.
He said the plan is for his 40-year-old girlfriend, who was moved to contact him after seeing his story on a documentary aired in the US, to fly over early next month.
“It will be amazing to see her, I can’t wait,” he said. “We are over the moon, it is going to be amazing to finally see her face-to-face.”
The pair became close friends after Miss Mountain tracked Mr Mason down on Facebook.
- 1 Suffolk M&S stores to stay open as Colchester shop closes down
- 2 Mercedes and Vauxhall flip over after crash in busy Ipswich road
- 3 Teenage boys arrested after police seize suspected class A drugs in Ipswich
- 4 Man caught in undercover police sting trying to meet '13-year-old girl'
- 5 Cannabis dealer jailed after being caught with drugs in Range Rover
- 6 Is this tearoom near Ipswich one of Suffolk’s best-kept secrets?
- 7 Man who attacked partner after she travelled 10 hours to see him is jailed
- 8 Two cars have windows smashed in same Ipswich residential street
- 9 New landlords take over award-winning pub and brewery in Suffolk village
- 10 Neighbours raised alarm after man not seen for several days
So touched was she by his story, that she was moved to get in contact and help him face the next stage of his weight-loss journey.
Following a gastric bypass operation in 2010 Mr Mason’s weight plummeted.
He now weighs 22 stone but is desperate for further surgery to remove an estimated eight stone of excess skin.
Mr Mason said the loose skin he is left with is making his life a “living hell”.
It is thought the surgery could cost up to £37,000. Medics have told Mr Mason he must maintain a stable weight before the operation is an option.
In her bid to help her new boyfriend, Miss Mountain has tracked down a surgeon in New York who will perform the procedure so long as the couple fund his hospital stay and travel.
The couple have estimated they need to raise $30,000 and have urged people to help.
Mr Mason added: “Rebecca has arranged for a charity page to be started on youcaring.com.
“We think it will cost around $30,000 with flights included.
“We are calling the page Help For Paul on his Extraordinary Journey and it is to cover the medical expenses and my travel.”