Ipswich: Warning after two pet cats suffer horrific death by drinking anti-freeze
IPSWICH: A family has been left devastated after their two precious cats had to be put down when they swallowed anti-freeze.
Darren and Tracey Towns, of Clapgate Lane in Ipswich, noticed something was wrong with ginger tom Charlie and black female Bella last Tuesday.
One-year-old Charlie started being violently sick and was ice cold to the touch, so vets undertook a series of blood tests which showed he and seven-month-old Bella had ingested the poisonous anti-freeze – which the couple believe could have been done deliberately.
Sadly they were so badly injured they had to be put down on Friday.
Darren, 39, said: “They were very happy cats – everyone knew them and they would go round to other people’s houses and gardens in the area.
“When we went to the vets, they were surprised Charlie was still walking, because the levels in his blood were through the roof.
“We just want to tell people to make sure they keep anti-freeze out of the way of animals. The vet told us it’s quite a sweet taste and if it’s on the floor they may lick it up.”
- 1 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 2 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 3 ‘I’ve got no life’ - Ipswich woman's agony as she waits for operation
- 4 Drug dealer found with cannabis, 133 tablets and cash jailed
- 5 Star Suffolk breakfast blogger reveals her favourite food around Ipswich
- 6 Open day for Ipswich pub on sale for £300,000
- 7 Ladies night event in Kesgrave with strippers sold-out in five days
- 8 Lorry overturned on roundabout closes A14 near Felixstowe
- 9 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 10 Did you know these 10 pubs were open in Ipswich?
The couple’s youngest daughter, three-year-old Casey, has been left distraught by the incident, as she was very close to the two cats and affectionately called the tom “Charlie Boy”.
Tracey, 32, said: “Charlie would always follow me down the road when I went to take the children to school – it was like he was protecting me. He was such a loving cat.
“People might think they’re just cats, but they were part of our family and now I’m scared of letting the other two out in case it happens to them.”
This comes just a few months after the family lost their German Shepherd, Ike, in the autumn.
Becky Fox, deputy manager of the RSPCA in East Suffolk and Ipswich, said: “At this time of year, when people start getting anti-freeze out for their cars and leave it around or have it leak out of radiators onto the grass, animals can come along and lick it up afterwards.
“If similar things have happened in the area, keep the cat shut in particularly at night and early mornings because that’s generally when the cats will go out hunting and roaming around.
“At any signs of illness – diarrhoea, sickness, lethargy – we would recommend seeking veterinary advice immediately.”
Police are investigating the incident, which is being treated as animal cruelty, and are asking anyone with information to contact Pc Liam Watson on 01473 613500.
n Do you have a story to tell? Call our newsdesk on 01473 324788 or e-mail email@example.com.