Ipswich Waterfront site vacant for a decade to progress with 113 homes
- Credit: Google Earth
A portion of derelict land on Ipswich Waterfront dormant for more than a decade is set to get a new lease of life after planners gave the go ahead for 113 homes.
The disused site off Discovery Avenue was part of a larger development for 464 homes, nine-storey high residential blocks, health centre, hotel and shops submitted in 2005, but later stalled as a result of the market downturn.
There were 116 homes completed for that development before the scheme was mothballed.
After eight years of dormant use, Persimmon lodged an application for one phase of the work – 113 homes – in May last year.
Ipswich Borough Council’s planning committee met on Wednesday where the decision was approved.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman from Persimmon Homes in the application said it would “assist in the continued regeneration of the Waterfront in Ipswich, which is the largest single regeneration project in the East of England and a key aspiration as outlined in the Ipswich Borough Local Plan 2017.”
The spokesman added: “We are pleased that the plans were agreeable to the council and look forward to starting work on site in the New Year.
- 1 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 2 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
- 3 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 4 Man arrested following Ipswich sexual assault
- 5 Ipswich Flooring Superstore opening brings jobs and investment
- 6 £1,600 worth of power tools stolen while owner was shopping
- 7 How Ipswich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 8 Suffolk police share ridiculous reasons for 999 calls
- 9 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 10 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
“The development will provide 113 much-needed two and three bedroom homes for local people as well as delivering a contribution of £128,000 for youth facilities in the area.”
The development will comprise 57 three-bed homes and 56 two-bed houses, as well as an underground car park.
A contribution by the developer for £128,000 on youth facilities was also agreed, although the details of this are yet to be disclosed.
Ipswich Borough Council’s report said: “The council cannot provide evidence of a five year supply of housing sites within the borough to meet its housing need.
“This application represents a real opportunity for high density development within a sustainable geographic location, close to schools, services, employment and other town centre facilities.”
Work is set to begin in 2019, although it is not yet clear when the first homes may go on the market.
Uncertainty also remains over the rest of the site, and whether the approval of planning permission will pave the way for further applications in the area.