Irish pop legend Daniel O’Donnell meets 76-year-old superfan at Ipswich nursing home
- Credit: Archant
The Magic Was There for one nursing home resident who got to meet pop star Daniel O’Donnell after finding herself unable to attend his Ipswich concert.
Doreen Baker, 76, lives at Sidegate Lane Nursing Home which provides care for people with mental health needs.
She missed out on tickets to the last wheelchair accessible space for his sold-out Ipswich Regent show earlier this year.
Determined not to let Doreen miss out on seeing her idol, specialist nurse manager Michala Hartley-Brown contacted O’Donnell’s agent and persuaded the pop legend to take 10 minutes to call in and see her.
Doreen, who has a picture of the star next to her bed and listens to his music every night, was granted a private audience when he visited.
Together, the pair talked about previous shows Doreen had attended and where she grew up.
She said: “He is so lovely – such a handsome man – his visit really made my day. I’m so grateful to Michala – she’s made my dreams come true.”
- 1 Man found unconscious in Ipswich alleyway following serious assault
- 2 Suffolk woman and her three dogs die in London crash
- 3 Brother of Ipswich murder victim to roll out bleed control kits across town
- 4 Hopes pre-built extension plans will attract bigger acts to the Regent
- 5 £1million house with extensive grounds up for sale near Christchurch Park
- 6 Striking new seafront café opens its doors to customers after two-year wait
- 7 Charity match held in memory of Tavis Spencer-Aitkens
- 8 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 9 Driver fined £100 after accidentally entering wrong date on car park app
- 10 Court orders Ipswich drug dealer to repay £63,000
Michala added: “Doreen is someone who has had a lot of emotional challenges throughout her life and needs full support with daily living requirements.
“When the chance came to do something that would make such a difference, I had to give it a try.”