Irish pop legend Daniel O’Donnell meets 76-year-old superfan at Ipswich nursing home
- Credit: Archant
The Magic Was There for one nursing home resident who got to meet pop star Daniel O’Donnell after finding herself unable to attend his Ipswich concert.
Doreen Baker, 76, lives at Sidegate Lane Nursing Home which provides care for people with mental health needs.
She missed out on tickets to the last wheelchair accessible space for his sold-out Ipswich Regent show earlier this year.
Determined not to let Doreen miss out on seeing her idol, specialist nurse manager Michala Hartley-Brown contacted O’Donnell’s agent and persuaded the pop legend to take 10 minutes to call in and see her.
Doreen, who has a picture of the star next to her bed and listens to his music every night, was granted a private audience when he visited.
You may also want to watch:
Together, the pair talked about previous shows Doreen had attended and where she grew up.
She said: “He is so lovely – such a handsome man – his visit really made my day. I’m so grateful to Michala – she’s made my dreams come true.”
- 1 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 2 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 3 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 4 What are the Covid rates in Suffolk — and could Christmas be affected?
- 5 New movie to be shot in Suffolk in 2022, author announces
- 6 Christmas light DJ to open new Ipswich bar
- 7 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 8 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 9 Cardinal Practice 'access issues' to be discussed at key NHS meeting
- 10 £1,600 worth of power tools stolen while owner was shopping
Michala added: “Doreen is someone who has had a lot of emotional challenges throughout her life and needs full support with daily living requirements.
“When the chance came to do something that would make such a difference, I had to give it a try.”