Orwell Bridge closed due to high winds
- Credit: Archant
Highways England have now closed the Orwell Bridge after high winds hit Suffolk.
Wind speed and direction on the bridge have been monitored across the day to ensure driver safety.
Highways England announced their intention to close the bridge at around 3.30pm to allow motorists to plan their journeys during the evening.
The agency said it would be continuing to monitor the wind speeds before making a decision on when the bridge should re-open.
A spokesman for Highways England said: “The worst of the weather is expected between 10pm and midnight but wind speeds will be assessed throughout this period with the bridge expected to reopen at midnight.”
You may also want to watch:
The closure is the 14th to take place on the bridge in the last six years.
- 1 Police on scene of 'ongoing incident' in Ipswich cul-de-sac
- 2 Teenager seriously injured in Ipswich stabbing
- 3 Body discovered in Thetford Forest Park
- 4 Critical care full and nearly 700 patients fighting Covid in hospital
- 5 Tributes paid to Ipswich's 'best-loved shopkeeper' Hajara 'Sid' Singh
- 6 Closure of Debenhams stores in Suffolk and north Essex confirmed
- 7 WATCH: Therese Coffey 'walks out' of Piers Morgan interview on GMB
- 8 Severe delays on A14 following collision between lorry and car
- 9 Death of 'happy go lucky' woman could not have been predicted
- 10 Suffolk gets its first ever Michelin Star