Orwell Bridge closed due to high winds
- Credit: Archant
Highways England have now closed the Orwell Bridge after high winds hit Suffolk.
Wind speed and direction on the bridge have been monitored across the day to ensure driver safety.
Highways England announced their intention to close the bridge at around 3.30pm to allow motorists to plan their journeys during the evening.
The agency said it would be continuing to monitor the wind speeds before making a decision on when the bridge should re-open.
A spokesman for Highways England said: “The worst of the weather is expected between 10pm and midnight but wind speeds will be assessed throughout this period with the bridge expected to reopen at midnight.”
You may also want to watch:
The closure is the 14th to take place on the bridge in the last six years.
- 1 62-year-old arrested following incident in Ipswich town centre
- 2 The Walk in Ipswich town centre cordoned off by police
- 3 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 4 'I'm very lucky' – Ipswich biker-chef lost arm and hand in A14 crash
- 5 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 6 'Devious' Ipswich doctor jailed for sending fake texts to flatmate
- 7 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 8 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 9 Trucker ran eBay scam selling straps used for securing heavy loads
- 10 250 Ipswich patients fined after failing to pay for their prescriptions