JD Wetherspoon to hold public meeting in Felixstowe over new pub proposals
- Credit: Archant
Controversial proposals for a new JD Wetherspoon pub in Felixstowe town centre will be discussed at a public meeting on Monday.
The pub operator will be seeking to allay residents’ concerns over the operation of the premises, which will be opposite an infants school.
It has been granted planning consent for the project in Hamilton Road but the application generated dozens of angry protest letters.
It has since put in plans for larger premises on the site, having established the principle of development, and Suffolk Coastal District Council has received more than 60 further letters.
Householders’ worries include late-night noise, the increased size of the proposed beer garden, opening hours, lack of car parking and consequent parking on already-congested nearby streets, and the impact on nearby Fairfield Infant School.
Some parents have expressed worries about the impact on youngsters if people are drinking in the beer garden at school dropping off or picking up times.
JD Wetherspoon is holding the public meeting at The Marlborough Hotel, in Sea Road, Felixstowe, on Monday at 7pm.
- 1 Crash involving ambulance closes Ipswich road
- 2 Police carry out 'pre-planned' operation in Felixstowe road
- 3 Suffolk's top 10 fish and chip shops as voted by our readers - now pick a winner
- 4 Double drink driver who killed Jennifer, 32, jailed six years and eight months
- 5 Notcutts submit detailed plans for 14 homes on the edge of Ipswich
- 6 See inside stunning £1.15m home a stone's throw away from Christchurch Park
- 7 Ipswich salon to offer free gent's haircut at Suffolk Show
- 8 Richest people in East Anglia revealed on Sunday Times Rich List
- 9 'You have broken us!' - New cafe at Suffolk beauty spot on huge demand
- 10 Suffolk fish and chip van to feature on Escape to the Country
A company spokesman said: “Representatives from Wetherspoon‘s development team and the project architects responsible for the site will discuss the proposed refurbishment and design of the premises as well as the operation of the pub itself.”
People are invited to go along to hear the presentation and ask questions.
The new £2.6million pub will be built on the site of the former Central Surgery, which has now moved to a state-of-the-art medical centre in Grove Road.
Although it has no objection to the principle of a public house on the site, Felixstowe Town Council has recommended refusal of the latest plans because it is concerned at the effect on the infant school and residents in High Road West and says the design could have “unacceptable consequential effects”, causing disturbance to people nearby.
It has suggested the pub should be built facing Great Eastern Square.