Jewellers to change name
IPSWICH town centre's oldest name is set to disappear later this year.Croydons is to change its name as part of a major redevelopment of its shop in Tavern Street.
IPSWICH town centre's oldest name is set to disappear later this year.
Croydons is to change its name as part of a major redevelopment of its shop in Tavern Street. It will mark the end of a name which has been in the town since 1865.
The new name for the shop comes eight years after the original Croydons company went into receivership.
The shop is now owned by Lancashire-based jewellers, Prestons, which is planning to invest hundreds of thousands of pounds in the store.
The name will also change at the company's other store, in Bury St. Edmunds. Its store in Norwich did not reopen after the original company failed.
The new name was today being unveiled by store bosses, and it is due to come into use during the next three to six months.
- 1 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 2 Goat dies and ponies injured after dog attack
- 3 Man was allegedly battered to death in Ipswich guest house, jury hears
- 4 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 5 Two men steal pedal bike from outside Ipswich primary school
- 6 Final homes in 75-house development to go on sale
- 7 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 8 Ipswich business worry as customers rein back spending
- 9 Ipswich family celebrate their funny and likeable son with football match
- 10 Delays near Orwell Bridge after wheels of trailer carrying boat fall off
It's the second time in a decade that the oldest shop name in Ipswich has disappeared.
In 1996 Grimwades on the Cornhill closed down.
Now the oldest store in the town centre will be Martin and Newby, which has traded on the junction of Tacket Street and Lower Orwell Street since 1874.