Kara's big catch
AT 12-years-old, Kara Bridges is already hooked on fishing and now she has landed a catch that most anglers can only dream of. The schoolgirl netted a mirror carp weighing an incredible 62lb 10oz on a fishing trip with her father to France.
AT 12-years-old, Kara Bridges is already hooked on fishing and now she has landed a catch that most anglers can only dream of.
The schoolgirl netted a mirror carp weighing an incredible 62lb 10oz on a fishing trip with her father to France.
The huge fish, which took 20 minutes to land, would sell on the open market for up to £10,000.
Bacton Middle School pupil Kara, from Cotton, near Stowmarket, was all smiles after landing the fish in a valley lake surrounded by woodland 15 miles from Paris.
You may also want to watch:
She posed for a picture to record the amazing catch before releasing the fish back into the waters.
“I was really excited, at first I thought it was a tiny fish, but when dad picked him up in the net he nearly collapsed,” she said.
- 1 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 2 How Ipswich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 3 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 4 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 5 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 6 Trial set for man who robbed mum of her handbag
- 7 Holly holding onto new hope in eating disorder recovery process
- 8 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 9 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 10 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
“It was a whopper, I was really happy, I thought, what have I done? I had a huge smile on my face.
“I have told my best friends at school. I will try and get even bigger ones now - my dad is helping me learn about it all. It is not a long fish, but really deep. It was a really big one.”
Proud father Keith Bridges, an HGV driver who has been taking his daughter carp fishing for five years after his father introduced him to the sport, said: “It took Kara about 20 minutes to land, and she had a big smile on her face afterwards.
“Her fish was weighed and verified by the French, it is a very big fish, although not a world record.
“But because of her age, and because she is a girl, I would not have thought anyone else would have achieved this and I did not assist her at all playing the fish.”
He added: “I am amazed at her achievement and very proud of her. I have taken part in competitions but she has now caught a bigger fish than her dad now, which she keeps reminding me about.”
Mr Bridges said he hoped his daughter will take up the sport professionally later in life, making a living from her hobby.
Locally a carp was caught in the River Gipping in Ipswich a few years ago, weighing in at 46lb 4oz, and the same lake in France where Kara caught her fish has yielded a 70lb fish, said Mr Bridges.