Kayaking pals are paddling 180 miles to help good causes
SUFFOLK: Paddlers searching for a wild adventure are preparing to take to the River Thames.
Starting close to the source of the country’s most famous river, in Lechlade, Gloucestershire, Steve Gray and friend Paul Kingston will embark on a 180-mile kayaking marathon over the course of nine days.
Steve, 37, of Tunstall, said: “I was just interested in paddling through the heart of London, going by Westminster and passing by the MI6 building, going under all the bridges – it just seemed like a really good adventure.”
However, it will not all be plain sailing for Steve and 47-year-old Paul, of Chattisham.
“There are 47 locks on the Thames but once we get through Teddington we will get into the tidal Thames.
“We will have to be careful not to sink the kayaks because the tide will be rushing in and out.”
The pair have each chosen to help a charity close to their own hearts - Steve, who works for Support and Advice Project (SNAP), will be donating for the Peak Cornish Welfare Foundation which helps people who have problems with their benefits.
- 1 Look inside stunning £950k home close to Christchurch Park in Ipswich
- 2 Lorry overturned on roundabout closes A14 near Felixstowe
- 3 Road closed while fire crews tackle Martlesham blaze
- 4 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 5 Ladies night event in Kesgrave with strippers sold-out in five days
- 6 ‘I’ve got no life’ - Ipswich woman's agony as she waits for operation
- 7 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 8 Did you know these 10 pubs were open in Ipswich?
- 9 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 10 Motorist angry over £100 'fine' at Ipswich car park
Meanwhile, Paul, who works for the Orwell Housing Association, will be raising funds for projects run by the group.
Jointly, they have also set up a Just Giving page for EACH’s Tree House Appeal.
The journey starts on September 18 and the pair hope to reach Greenwich by the following Sunday.
Visit www.just giving.com/Paul- Kingston
n Do you know anyone who is preparing to take on a special challenge to raise money for charity? Write to Your Letters, The Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or alternatively you can send an e-mail to evening starletters@evening star.co.uk