Kesgrave: Fire-hit family says thanks for support
kesgrave: A family who watched their home go up in flames has said “thank you” to neighbours, firefighters and charity staff for their help over the past 36 hours.
At about 6pm on Thursday, Stephen and Yvonne Godden’s bungalow in Holly Road, Kesgrave, caught alight and the flames quickly engulfed much of the roof.
The family made it to safety and firefighters had the blaze under control and extinguished after 90 minutes.
But the couple and their teenage son Lee Wyatt have been left homeless and builders were last night securing the property, which has been badly damaged.
Mr Godden, 55, said he spent a frustrating day sorting out utility companies, insurance details and contacting the council.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “Upstairs is completely black and there’s soot and water everywhere. It’s all ash – there’s nothing left of the place.
“A good hour they were fighting it – the trouble was, the fire was in the roof.
- 1 Citroën driver taken to hospital after car comes off road
- 2 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 3 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 4 Patient in 90s will fight Ipswich Hospital parking fine
- 5 Car rental business set to bring jobs boost
- 6 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 7 Return of live music to continue with one-day Ipswich festival
- 8 Jailed in Suffolk: Drug courier and teenage burglar put behind bars
- 9 Councils to be given powers to fine drivers £70
- 10 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
“We have been put up in the Holiday Inn at the moment and have been told we can stay there until something is sorted out.”
The couple said neighbours and fire crews had been “brilliant” from the moment the blaze began, although it had seemed like an age before the fire engines arrived.
Mrs Godden said Lee, 19, had gone to stay with friends and had lost all of his gadgets – a flat-screen TV and computer.
After being unable to grab any clothes before escaping the inferno, Mrs Godden had been given items by relatives and the Red Cross, which has been assisting the family. Anything that had been recovered yesterday was smelling strongly of smoke and needed a thorough clean.
Mrs Godden, 47, added: “We had a beautiful house with a lot of nice things. We’ve done a lot to this place over the past 14 years.”
The family was told by insurance experts that repairs were unlikely to begin until January.
n Has your life been devastated by fire? Do you have any words of comfort for the family? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail email@example.com