Kesgrave SNT office open again 10 months after devastating electrical fire

The Kesgrave Safer Neighbourhood Team building has now been refurbished after a fire.

The Kesgrave Safer Neighbourhood Team building has now been refurbished after a fire. - Credit: Sarah Lucy brown

The Safer Neighbourhood Team (SNT) office in Kesgrave reopened yesterday, almost 10 months after it was closed.

The police base was put out of action on October 30 after an electrical fire forced it to close. Original plans had estimated it to be reopened within two months, however work did not start until April.

Police then gave a date of the end of May for its reopening, before finally opening its doors yesterday.

However, during that time officers insisted that policing in the town had not been affected, despite PCSOs operating from the Woodbridge Station and using a mobile unit.

Suffolk Police and Crime Commissioner Tim Passmore, said: “I am very pleased to see that the SNT base in Kesgrave has now reopened. It has taken longer than we expected but officers serving the area are now back in their office in Ropes Drive.

“I would like to remind the public that although the base in Kesgrave was closed, policing in the area was unaffected as officers worked from a temporary base, but continued to serve the Kesgrave and district communities.”

The fire caused smoke damage throughout the unit, furniture, lockers and ICT equipment. Delays to the office’s opening were due to insurers and quotations taking longer than expected, as well as additional checks and cleaning.

Most Read

Contractor work was initially finished by May 21, when it was handed back to Suffolk police.

The building was then refurnished and new equipment installed by July 17, before final cleaning finished on August 20.

Superintendent Paul Sharp, policing commander for Suffolk Coastal and Waveney districts, said: “We are pleased to let the community know that the SNT base in Kesgrave has now reopened, with the team operating there once again.

“Despite the fire at the base our patrols and service to the public continued as normal, as we temporarily operated out of Woodbridge Police Station while repairs were carried out.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter