Looking back to Town legend Kevin Beattie testimonial at Portman Road in 1982
- Credit: Archant
One of Ipswich Town’s greatest ever players was honoured with a testimonial match at Portman Road in 1982 for his service for the football club
In 1982, Town legend Kevin Beattie was honoured with a testimonial match at Portman Road as an Ipswich Town XI took on Russian club Dynamo Moscow - with the game ending in a 2-2 draw.
Pictures were captured on the day as fans salute the greatest Ipswich Town player of all time as he was honoured with a testimonial game for his service for the club.
Beattie joined Ipswich as a 15-year old and progressed through the youth ranks, making his debut against Manchester United in 1972. He made 307 appearances for Ipswich Town, scoring 32 goals, and was an FA Cup and UEFA Cup winner for Town, while he also won the PFA Young Player of the Year 1973/74 – the inaugural winner of the award.
Beattie sadly passed away from a suspected heart attack on Sunday, September 16, aged 64.
You may also want to watch:
Did you attend the match over 40 years ago or can you spot yourself or someone you know in this picture gallery?
Share your memories with us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 3 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 4 Major Ipswich road partially blocked after crash involving Audi and Mercedes
- 5 'It's like we're in the stone age' - Homophobic abuse halts LGBT+ parties
- 6 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 7 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
- 8 First look inside Ipswich's new Geek Retreat games cafe
- 9 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 10 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion