Looking back to Town legend Kevin Beattie testimonial at Portman Road in 1982
- Credit: Archant
One of Ipswich Town’s greatest ever players was honoured with a testimonial match at Portman Road in 1982 for his service for the football club
In 1982, Town legend Kevin Beattie was honoured with a testimonial match at Portman Road as an Ipswich Town XI took on Russian club Dynamo Moscow - with the game ending in a 2-2 draw.
Pictures were captured on the day as fans salute the greatest Ipswich Town player of all time as he was honoured with a testimonial game for his service for the club.
Beattie joined Ipswich as a 15-year old and progressed through the youth ranks, making his debut against Manchester United in 1972. He made 307 appearances for Ipswich Town, scoring 32 goals, and was an FA Cup and UEFA Cup winner for Town, while he also won the PFA Young Player of the Year 1973/74 – the inaugural winner of the award.
Beattie sadly passed away from a suspected heart attack on Sunday, September 16, aged 64.
You may also want to watch:
Did you attend the match over 40 years ago or can you spot yourself or someone you know in this picture gallery?
Share your memories with us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 2 Anger at parking fines for butcher, barber and carpet fitter shoppers
- 3 Teenager arrested after man suffers cut to neck on Ipswich estate
- 4 Police cordon off section of Ipswich residential street
- 5 Meet the strongest 40+ English woman, a teacher from Ipswich
- 6 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 7 Roadworks held up by parked Mini
- 8 School completes £15.5million revamp with demolition of former building
- 9 'It was horrific': Grandmother stuck abroad after 40ft castle fall
- 10 Teenager, 17, charged with possession of offensive weapon after incident