Knickers joke by Duke
THE DUKE of Edinburgh prompted a peal of laughter when he misread a Kicker's hat – and thought it proclaimed 'Knickers!'The Duke's remark made Brian Thurkettle and his partner Shirley Bradbrook chuckle for most of the afternoon.
THE DUKE of Edinburgh prompted a peal of laughter when he misread a Kicker's hat – and thought it proclaimed 'Knickers!'
The Duke's remark made Brian Thurkettle and his partner Shirley Bradbrook chuckle for most of the afternoon.
Spotting Mr Thurkettle's cap while wandering along the Ipswich Waterfront, the Duke of Edinburgh said he thought the label had read "Knickers" as opposed to the popular sports brand Kickers.
The joke was immediately followed by an outburst of laughter from the crowd and left Mr Thurkettle smiling for the rest of the day.
You may also want to watch:
"I was standing by the pub when he came up to me to have a look at my hat," said the 66-year-old, from Nacton village, near Ipswich.
"I was amazed when he made the joke and we wished afterwards we would have had a video camera.
- 1 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 2 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 3 Ipswich mum 'eating junk food and take-aways' goes from size 22 to 12
- 4 NHS confirms new Ipswich 'super-surgery' should open in 2024
- 5 'The village already can't cope' - Concerns over 114-home plan
- 6 Kesgrave shooting: Teen who tried to kill friend set to be sentenced
- 7 Town centre delays following accident
- 8 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 9 'Extra-cautionary' Covid measures reintroduced at Kesgrave High
- 10 Rick Wakeman joins Ipswich Hospital Band as Patron
"Everyone around us had a good old laugh about it because he had a really big grin on his face. I was surprised that he came over, but even more surprised when he noticed my hat."