Knife-woman held at superstore
A KNIFE-wielding woman who today lashed out at staff at an Ipswich superstore and threatened to stab them was disarmed by a brave employee.The woman is understood to have pulled a blade out on members of staff after she was stopped on suspicion of shoplifting at the Tesco Store at Copdock.
A KNIFE-wielding woman who today lashed out at staff at an Ipswich superstore and threatened to stab them was disarmed by a brave employee.
The woman is understood to have pulled a blade out on members of staff after she was stopped on suspicion of shoplifting at the Tesco Store at Copdock.
Police swooped to the scene after staff alerted them to the situation at about 7am.
It is believed the woman became involved in a standoff with two or three members of Tesco management staff outside the store.
You may also want to watch:
An eyewitness, who did not wish to be named, reported they believed it was a member of staff who managed to disarm the woman and detained her until the police arrived.
He said: "There was a woman with a large knife. She was in some kind of standoff with what I believe were management staff of Tesco.
- 1 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 2 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 3 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 4 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 5 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 6 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 7 Lounge bar with bespoke cocktails and tapas to open at Ipswich waterfront
- 8 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 9 Kesgrave shooting: Trial set to start as boy, 16, denies attempted murder
- 10 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
"The woman was waving a knife about and she was trying to stab members of staff.
"I think it was one of the management team that confronted her and managed to get the knife off her.
"Lots of police swooped to the store and the woman was taken away by officers.
"I am not sure what the incident was about, but it was rather dramatic."
A spokeswoman for Suffolk Police said: "A female shoplifter who was in possession of a knife has been detained by police.
"Threats were made to staff but nobody was injured in the incident.
"The woman, who is her early 20s is currently being dealt with by officers."
By mid morning it was business as usual at the busy store.