Landlords praised after fire
LANDLORDS Stephen and April Clarke were today praised for their quick actions after fire swept through the living quarters of their pub.The blaze took hold shortly after 10pm at the Heathlands pub in Foxhall Road, Ipswich, while about 70 regulars were watching football on the big screens downstairs.
LANDLORDS Stephen and April Clarke were today praised for their quick actions after fire swept through the living quarters of their pub.
The blaze took hold shortly after 10pm at the Heathlands pub in Foxhall Road, Ipswich, while about 70 regulars were watching football on the big screens downstairs.
Mrs Clarke, 33, said: "I was ironing in the living room and noticed that my iron had cut out. As I turned to look at the plug I saw smoke in the hallway.
"I immediately went to get my daughter Jennifer who was asleep in bed and went downstairs and told my husband. He then evacuated the pub and we waited for the fire brigade to arrive."
You may also want to watch:
The fire started in the immersion heater located in the airing cupboard on the first floor and quickly spread across the landing and severely damaged the whole area. Part of the ceiling was also destroyed in the fire.
Today the landlords, who have been at the pub for three and a half years, began clearing up and assessing the full extent of last night's drama.
- 1 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 2 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 3 Christmas light DJ to open new Ipswich bar
- 4 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 5 New movie to be shot in Suffolk in 2022, author announces
- 6 What are the Covid rates in Suffolk — and could Christmas be affected?
- 7 Cardinal Practice 'access issues' to be discussed at key NHS meeting
- 8 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 9 'Horror movie script' - Waterfront lounge bar plans rejected again
- 10 Two people rescued after search off Harwich coast
"We were shocked at the extent of the damage and we lost quite a lot of belongings, however, we are grateful that everybody escaped safely. We realise it could have been a lot worse," said Mrs Clarke.
The pub is expected to re-open for business on Friday.
Assistant Divisional Officer Geoff Pyke based at Colchester Road said: "The landlords acted very quickly and promptly to ensure everybody was evacuated from the pub safely and did exactly what they should have.
"Everybody was in the car park when we arrived which enabled us to start tackling the fire straight away.
"In the event of any fire we always tell people to get out of the property before calling us.
"We would also advise people to have an action plan ready to follow in the event of fire and to make sure everybody in the property knows what to do. Little things like knowing where keys to doors and window locks are and which exits to leave from whatever time of the day or night is essential."