Large blaze at Felixstowe Ferry Golf Club shuts road – seven fire engines sent
- Credit: Picture: Stephen Waller
Four Suffolk fire crews have tackled a blaze at Felixstowe Ferry Golf Club.
A police cordon was put in place in Ferry Road while firefighters dealt with the blaze.
Seven fire engines were sent to the scene from stations including Ipswich East, Princes Street and Felixstowe.
The fire was sparked in a building which is described by chiefs as a two storey detached commercial premises with a domestic dwelling above.
Ipswich east station commander Kevin Oxford said: “This was a rapidly developing fire but thanks to the quick efforts of our firefighters from the Felixstowe station they got there quickly.
You may also want to watch:
“Initial indications are suggesting the fire started in the shed before spreading to the roof of the Robert Joyce golf shop. It is a clothes shop that also helps with repairs and private tuition.
“We are now checking for hotspots in the roof and are carrying out an investigation. Luckily it has not destroyed the shop or spread to other buildings despite how hot the weather is.
- 1 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 2 Woman sexually assaulted near Ipswich Waterfront
- 3 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 4 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
- 5 Felixstowe's mayor offers reassurance following lorry park death arrests
- 6 'We don't want them here' - Work continues to make Maple Park safer
- 7 'I will miss her enormously' - husband's tribute to NHS hero Carol
- 8 Superhero send off planned for 'charismatic and cheeky' Alexander, 15
- 9 The Walk in Ipswich town centre cordoned off by police
- 10 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
“We have seven pumps on scene with the aerial ladder platform which is removing piles of debris and tiles from the roof but the fire is under control.”
Felixstowe Ferry Golf Club general manager David Spencer said: “I would like to thank the fast efforts of the firefighters here today because without them the fire could have been much worse, even devastating and someone could have got hurt.
“They think the fire started in one of the back sheds which we saw briefly before getting straight on the phone.
“They’ve managed to save the two bedroom flat which belongs to one of our employees and they have managed to save the shop which we are really grateful for.”
Stay with us for updates on this developing news story as soon as we receive them from the emergency services.
In the meantime, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for the latest updates.